Author Topic: Still EBF  (Read 1026 times)

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:22:53 am »
can I get some advice pls. My DD is almost 14 moths old. She still BF in the morning and evening and also after her nap. is this ok? I am fine with it, but for past few weeks she just wants to help herself to some more milk from mummy, just whenever she feels like it she pulls my top up and wants to feed. She can feed sometimes for 5 or 1 min, it depends, if refused she puts her thumb in her mouth. How do I move on? Should I still Bf after nap?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Still EBF
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 19:38:27 pm »
The WHO recommend BFing until "2yo and beyond" so it is definitely still ok and perfectly normal to be feeding at 14mo. 3 BFs a day sounds like a good balance assuming she is also eating solid foods. My DS2 was on 3-4 BFs a day until about 22mo and then one a day by 24mo (I think) and we cut the last feed at 26mo. My DS1 dropped to 2 BFs around 14mo and weaned completely at 26mo. Many toddlers are fed on demand and have several feeds a day which is also fine as long as they are eating solid food normally too. All LOs are different.

If you don't want to start feeding more often then I'd just say it isn't time, she can have milk after nap or at BT (whichever is the next feed) and distract her with a snack, cuddle or toy. This is mostly what I did unless they were sick or something in which case I fed more often if they demanded it.

If you are happy to feed her more often then by all means do it.

It could be that she has just discovered she can ask for things when she wants them and have some control over the feeds etc so it is a novelty.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011