Author Topic: 27 month old crying all night  (Read 811 times)

Offline mom_2_2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
27 month old crying all night
« on: October 30, 2014, 10:01:00 am »
My DS is 27 months and has never been a good sleeper. However, lately things have unraveled to a new level. He won't lay down and will literally sit up crying until he falls asleep sitting up, a process that can easily take 3-5 hours. For instance, last night, we put him down at 6:45pm (he was definitely tired and that's his standard bedtime) and he cried until 10:10pm when he simply passed out on his crib mattress (which is now on the floor). Then he woke at 4:30am and starting sitting up and crying again.

His crib mattress is on the floor because when he started doing this sitting up and crying for hours (until he falls asleep sitting up) in his toddler bed, I was worried that he was going to fall out of the bed. Anyway, I went in last night and I knew he was ok, I laid him down on his bed and covered him up. This only seems to get him more riled up. Nothing seems to be working and he actually only seems to be sleeping when he pretty much passes out in his bed. Naps have been ok because he's at daycare (although I can't imagine what will happen this coming weekend when he's home).

I don't know if I should be going in more or less or what I should be doing. I have never had the habit of laying down with him to sleep or staying in the room. He's never had any sleep crutch from us. I have no idea what to do at this point.
Mom to DS1 born August 3, 2007, DS2 born July 1, 2009, and DS3 born July 30, 2012.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 27 month old crying all night
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 14:53:35 pm »
Hugs, sounds exhausting :(

Can you post his typical day, WU, nap, bedtime?

How long has this been going on? How are you responding to the crying?

Any teething at the moment?

Offline mom_2_2

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 18:26:11 pm »
It is exhausting. And I feel terrible for him. He's soooo tired. It's been going on for 3-4 nights now. His typical day involves waking up around 5am, nap at noon (usually 1h30m) and bed around 6:30 or 6:45. For the crying, when it started, I went to make sure he was ok (there had to be a reason for all that crying, right?). I'd talk to him, feel his forehead, and notice that he stopped crying instantly when I was there. As more nights have gone on, I have gone in less. Last night I only went in once early on. When I go in and lay him down, he gets more hysterical (probably in no small part due to how profoundly overtired he now is). No teething that I am aware of at the moment. My gut feeling is that it's stubbornness, but I can't be sure. He is sort of an angel baby personality (so sweet and easygoing) except when it comes to sleep (which has always been difficult).
Mom to DS1 born August 3, 2007, DS2 born July 1, 2009, and DS3 born July 30, 2012.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:53 am »
Hi there Honey,

How are things  ???

Dropping off some (HUGS) for you. Can you tell me WRT the typical routine that you posted: How long was that his routine for and did it seem to suit him or has he always seemed a little OT  ???

What comes to my attention first of all is the 8.5 A time from a 5 am WU to his nap. It's longer than what is typical, however if it has been working for him then that's another thing. In the short term to try and help him, how would you feel about bringing his nap forward and shortening his day  ???

What do we have going on developmentally  ??? anything he is making leaps and bounds with   ??? Or any stressful situations happening right now  ???

x.

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:08:16 am »
Or alternatively you could keep nap the same but get him into bed for the night much earlier, 5/5.30pm to compensate for that super-long morning :)