Author Topic: Bath crayons - any good or just a hassle to clean?!  (Read 2132 times)

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Bath crayons - any good or just a hassle to clean?!
« on: November 09, 2014, 19:22:34 pm »
Was thinking of getting DD (19 mos) some for Xmas as she's just started to enjoy drawing and is a bit bored of her squirty toys but I've read a lot of reviews about staining grouting/hard to clean/lots of hassle..
Anyone bought them and would recommend?

Or some other good toys for her to replace the squirty things she has that just end up squirting out black mould!
Lauren

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
Re: Bath crayons - any good or just a hassle to clean?!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 19:34:59 pm »
We have recently got some and they dissolved so fast in the water that they were horrible.  It could be a different brand than you have in mind.  What worked well for us was bath paint (they were coloured bubble bath really), so they were easy to clean and stick to the bathtub well without running too easily.  Not sure if you can find those because the company that made those stopped making them here.  Grrrr

Also foam puzzle for bath is great.  We got one as a gift when DS was perhaps 2 and he still plays with it. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 19:38:08 pm »
We've had bath crayons, they've been super easy to wipe off. The first set we were given and don't remember the make, the second set was from the £ shop and the quality was just fine, still washed off easily. TBH we have has issue with plastic toys (a couple of boats) which have left red marks all over the bath, the crayons were nowhere to be seen when the red marks appeared, it was definitely the boats. Those marks took quite a bit of scrubbing, or rather scraping off with my nail. (they were Thomas the tank series, Bulstrode I think the name is...had no problem with a cheap set of plastic stacking boats we got) What I found is the crayons didn't last super long, if you leave them in the bath water they will go too soft and possibly break, try to have a pot or something to pop them into rather than dropping them in the bath to soak iyswim

WRT squirty toys - I think there just comes a time you stop using them to avoid the mould! We have solid plastic toys instead (things like octonaughts characters, tub of farm or safari animals (you could get fish, we don't have many fish though), stacking cups/boats are great. Also a set of 3 stacking funnels (from kitchen department £ shop), syringes, little plastic bottles, spray bottle, droppers, washed out tubs/bottles such as squeezy ketchup or washing liquid bottles. Bath letters and numbers have been super fun here too, they are foam and stick to the side of the bath so you can write names or use them to draw funny faces with, do colour matching etc. Bath books are fun too.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 19:39:12 pm »
We've had bath paint too! DS uses it to make 'potions'.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 19:57:32 pm »
I just bleached our last three squirty toys last night. Yuck. Actually the best squirters are the peri care bottles I got in the hospital after the kids were born!

For bath crayons we use crayola washable crayons, they wash off super easy and you used to be able to get triangular ones that would not roll.
Heidi

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 20:16:07 pm »
She has the foam letters but hasn't taken a real interest in them yet.

She has one bath book but will definitely get a couple more and some pipettes etc. Thinking about it the crayons are probably not a wise choice as she likes to eat them  ::)

Time for the mouldy toys to go!!

Always lots of good ideas here, thanks ladies  :)
Lauren

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 20:59:18 pm »
Are you after other ideas then? I can find you the test tube and bath paint sets we have if you like. Bath rocks make them fizz over!!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 21:11:54 pm »
Other favourites are those stackable cups, hard plastic boats and duplo. 

Offline lolsyb1982

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 21:15:30 pm »
Yes please MJ&N. They sound fab!

Lauren

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:35:19 pm »
Here you go!

Bath rocks (they have cleverly repackaged broken bits of bath bomb but I don't care, more for your money and lots of different colours): http://bombcosmetics.co.uk/bath-rocks-flower-print-gift-pack
Paint looks like it might have been discontinued: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004YJWPCE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
Test tubes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004YJWPCE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00