Author Topic: How to transition from breastmilk to formula  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Kirstenjohnson0529

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How to transition from breastmilk to formula
« on: November 23, 2014, 21:20:08 pm »
My DD2 is a month old and we need to transition her (for multiple, personal reasons) from breastfeeding to formula. I was hoping to hear some experiences with switching. What is the best way, cold turkey or gradual? If gradual exactly how and what percentage of each? How long does it take to transition? Did your babies transition well?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: How to transition from breastmilk to formula
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 00:04:10 am »
Hopefully some mummies with btdt experience will post but also have a look at our weaning FAQ for the various approaches you can consider. Weaning
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:37:02 am »
I switched to formula from bf with all three kids but very very gradually, as in with DD3 she had her first bottle of formula at 5 monthsand we did not stop bf for 5 more months or so! If I was doing it on a faster time scale I don't think I would mix bm and formula unless baby refused the formula (my kids really had no problem with either) and replace a feed at a time. It would be gentler on your body that way too. Is there a certain timeframe you need to be done by? I am pretty sure my kids would have been totally fine with cold turkey but yikes that would have left me sore and was not really my goal yk?
Heidi

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:23:35 am »
I was switching F around 5mo also but was extensively pumping till around 6mo. We did it in phases one bottle per couple of days (4-7). He never had any problems, he liked formula, I didn't have to mix BM and formula in a one bottle to encourage him to drink it. He go his first bottle at around 3wo but only with BM. From then he was having a bottle with expressed milk occasionally during day and from 3mo for every DF.

If you have any specific question, please ask!
~Marta