Author Topic: Excess lipase??? 1000 oz of frozen ebm- help!!  (Read 1492 times)

Offline valerie11

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Excess lipase??? 1000 oz of frozen ebm- help!!
« on: November 26, 2014, 21:37:45 pm »
My DD is 7 months old, exclusively breastmilk fed. I work 3 days a week, nights, so when I do work she will get bottles at the sitters the day before, and then at home during the night when I work, and up until 2 pm the next day if I am off that night. So, she gets her fair share of expressed breastmilk when I work. When I'm with her i nurse.

I have had great supply so far, and by 6 months I had frozen 1000 ounces of ebm. Until 6 months she was only getting fresh ebm when I was away. At 6 months I stopped pumping as much so over the past few weeks my supply has dropped, which is fine considering I have so much frozen. Well now that my supply has dropped she is getting some fresh ebm, but is now also getting a lot of frozen. After a few days in denial, I think I have came to the conclusion that I have excess lipase in my BM. It smells a little soapy fresh from the fridge but nothing awful. But every single bag we have de-thawed just smells gross. Almost cardboard like, metallic, and sour. Omg I am devastated. If it doesn't smell sour we will try to give it, sometimes  she will take it but you can tell she doesn't like it as much. Other times she will throw up. last night we went through probably 24 ounces to find a bag that didn't smell awful :-( :-(. I wanted so badly for her to only get breastmilk, who knows how many hours I have sat and pumped to get all that breastmilk, for it to all go to waste and me have to give her formula anyways. I am so upset about it. FF is fine, just not something I was interested in. And now that I have 1000 oz of breastmilk frozen I am having a hard time coming to terms with not being able to use any of it. Please, advice? I am so upset.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Excess lipase??? 1000 oz of frozen ebm- help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 22:48:37 pm »
I found this article:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/lipase-expressedmilk/

No btdt experience though, hope you can find a solution!
Heidi

Offline valerie11

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 23:48:09 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking all the milk is no longer usable. I am so unbelievably upset.

So to switch to formula, is there any special way to do it? What formula is best for a healthy 7 month old? I am crying just typing this... So upsetting.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 01:06:49 am »
Yeah I would think the sour stuff is not usable. If she has no allergies or intolerances formula choices are pretty varied and depend where you are in the world.
Heidi

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 04:35:33 am »
Ugh. That is terrible! I am a working and pumping mama who has lost milk (only about 25% of that) and it was horrible!!  Huge hugs. Where are you in the world?
*Kate*

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 05:07:10 am »
Oh hon... I couldn't read this and not reply. I'm so sorry, I would be devastated in your shoes as well. Obviously, you've thought of this (I've never had to pump that much so don't really know), but is it too late to feed/pump more frequently to get your supply back up? Big (((hugs))).

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 06:46:53 am »
I also discovered this about my milk - gutted didn't even come close. Big hugs xx

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 07:46:06 am »
My milk does this as well.

Heating before freezing helps doesn't it? But obviously not with all the pre-frozen stuff  :'(.

Sorry honey xxx

Offline eva026

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 08:54:46 am »
How about making it into little pancakes and freezing it? That way you at least wont have to throw it out - or will it be bad for LO after cooking it?