Author Topic: Need ideas for low shelves & toddlers  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 29, 2014, 21:58:00 pm »
Hi fellow Moms!

I wasn't sure where to post this and I'm not having much luck searching the web.  I would like to purchase a 'butcher block' island and a dining hutch. Many of which come with very low wine racks - right in the perfect reach of toddlers!!  I don't want this to be wasted space for the next 3-4 years as we move through toddler stages with our little one + one on the way.  Any moms have some brilliant suggestions on how to utilize this space, yet keeping it toddler friendly?  I really try to keep the house in a way where we don't have to be constantly saying "no" and watching the every move and it makes life much less stressful for us this way.

Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks all! :)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: Need ideas for low shelves & toddlers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:00:24 am »
 My husband is a carpenter, so I know I'd get that wine rack out of there and put a few shelves. Books, stacking cups, whatever!  I might back the shelving with a child-safe mirror too!  Another idea is to close off the wine rack and place a chalkboard or drawing surface there.  If your island is/will be custom, very often you can switch out the wine feature for shelves. The end of my brothers' island has a space for a microwave, and cookbooks. 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 11:01:25 am »
^^ sounds great! Love the idea of a chalk board, or a magnetic board with some play magnets.
If it's something you can't have changed you could still turn it into a child play station with toys/books and busy boxes. Maybe hang a chalk or magnetic board in front on cup hooks, and keep the space behind for toy storage.
If they are wire racks of the wibbly sort you could find/make tubes (or cylindrical biscuit tins) to lay in each bottle space and fill each tube with different toys. If they are the wood square type you could hunt down (or make) baskets or pretty card boxes to act like open drawers for each space.

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 15:52:05 pm »
Thanks, they won't be custom as it will just be a store bought one. The idea of tins filled with toys is a great one.  I just hate any wasted space as it's not plentiful in our little place!  The chalk board covering the hole is a good one too.  Thanks again ladies! :)