Author Topic: 2 month old fussy while feeding  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Khmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:46:21 am »
My two month-old boy has been fussy while breastfeeding for the last four days. He usually takes 30-35 minutes to feed and has been getting fussy after 10-15 minutes. He'll kick his legs, pound my chest with his little fists and cry out. I'll try to burp him at this point, but rarely get a burp. Even when I get him to burp he will continue to fuss when I try to put him back onto the breast. After continuing like this for 5 minutes or so, he will latch on for the remainder of the feed. Occasionally, he will continue to be fussy for the entire feed.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Has this happened to anyone else? I don't think he has reflux.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 2 month old fussy while feeding
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 21:07:17 pm »
Are thing still the same?

Do you think it is possible you have an Overactive let down LO is struggling with? Oversupply and Overactive (Forceful) Let-Down
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:51:35 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking the same thing. I didn't know that a problem like that could just crop up all of a sudden.

I have been feeding him while reclined for the past two days, which seems to help. He hasn't been flailing around or crying! His feed times have fluctuated quite a bit within a day - sometimes 20 minutes, other times 50 minutes! But I've been trusting him when he starts acting grumpy at the breast and I don't keep insisting he have more.

Does overactive letdown go away on its own? Or does baby get used to it eventually?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 2 month old fussy while feeding
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 07:30:51 am »
I think baby gets used to it and you become able to manage it with position etc. It certainly became less of a problem as my two got older.

At this age it is normal for feed times to fluctuate. Sometimes baby might want a full meal and other times just a snack or drink.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 17:12:22 pm by *Ali* »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011