Author Topic: Tandem BFD help needed  (Read 943 times)

Offline ewabear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 11, 2014, 11:45:14 am »
My DD is 15 months old now and EBF. She loves her feeds and is fed three times a day, sometimes more If she wants.
I am thinking about dropping midday feed soon, thinking not wanting really.
I have recently found out that I am  pregnant again.
I was wandering how long can I BF for before I should stop (I have history of miscarriages), or can I still BF toddler when LO is born.
I know It is doable, but how does it actually work (colostrum, letdown).

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Tandem BFD help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 21:07:41 pm »
Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

I'll just preface my post by saying that I don't have any medical knowledge about how breastfeeding can affect your miscarriage risk. I think you would need to ask a medical professional IRL or do some research to see what your specific risks would be. This might be a good place to start. http://kellymom.com/pregnancy/bf-preg/bfpregnancy_safety/

I fell pregnant with DS2 when DS1 was 11mo and I continued to BF him all through pregnancy and then in tandem for a further 6 months until DS1 was 26mo. You can read all about my story and that of others here if you are interested. Pregnant and Breastfeeding/Tandem feeding Support Thread part 2

Normally your milk will turn to colostrum between 16-20wks into pregnancy and stay that way until baby is born. Many babies and toddlers don't mind and it isn't a problem nutritionally if baby is over 12mo as they can get the nutrition they need from solid food instead.

I hadn't felt a let down for ages before getting pg despite having a good supply so I'm not sure how that is affected.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011