Author Topic: OVERFEEDING?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
OVERFEEDING?
« on: December 11, 2014, 19:16:33 pm »
I recently wrote about my 10month old soaking through his diapers at night. This started me thinking about his actual Milk in-take and if he is possibly eating too much!? Recently, I've become aware that EVERYBODY I meet always comments on how BIG he is. He is a big baby, no question though not one of those babies with a billion cute little rolls. But, when family members started asking me how much he ate, I got a little worried!

His EAS is like this:
WU/BM 6:30
E Solids 7
E Formula (10oz/ 300ml) 10:30
S 10:30-12
E Solids 1:00
E Formula (10oz/ 300ml) 3:00
S 4- 5pm
E Solids 6:30
E Formula (10oz./300ml) 7:30
BT 8:00

The first feed of the day is BM and I honestly have no clue if he gets much out of me. The remaining three bottles are 300ml/ 10oz of Formula. His Solids intake definitely decreases as the day wears on. Breakfast he wolfs down toast, scrambled eggs, yogurt, fruit, etc. Its a feast! Anyway, he used to eat more at the other meal times, but since we are in transition and can't sit with him during meal times, he isn't as interested in eating lunch and dinner.

I wondering if its time to drop a bottle? I think he still would meet the necessary nutritional levels with two bottles, right? If I give him less in a bottle, he fusses and complains that it wasn't enough. I REALLY don't want to be OVER feeding him!

Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: OVERFEEDING?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 21:41:53 pm »
It's "normal" to drop to 3 bottles around 10 months so in your case if you are keeping the morning breastfeed then offer a snack and drink mid morning then a bottle feed after his solids just before the afternoon nap and then a bedtime bottle.

If you offer a snack instead of the mid morning bottle you could offer formula in a sippy instead to help him transition away from the bottles. He will probably be hungrier for lunch solids then too.

If he is having 2 10oz bottles plus a breastfeed then he will be getting the milk he needs. You can add milky foods like cheese sauces or milk based pudding to swap some of the milk to food instead of liquid milk.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 05:50:27 am »
Lolly, Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer back since.
I have decided to drop the BF in the morning (though I haven't yet) since it seems like he's not really getting anything anyway. He eats a huge breakfast immediately afterwards, which makes me wonder if I am making any milk still?
I have also decreased the amount in his formula bottles to 8oz (with the final one being 9oz). I think this will still get him the necessary milk intake with still allowing for him to be hungry at meal times.
What do you think of these choices?

And, how much milk should he be getting at 10/11 months?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 19:39:23 pm »
Up until 12 months the minimum they need is 20oz and that can include the dairy in their food. From 12 months milk becomes a drink not a food and they need about 12oz of dairy (and it doesn't have to be liquid milk) to get their need met.

HTH!

Laura