Author Topic: 16 weeks and short naps  (Read 3773 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 16 weeks and short naps
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 15:08:51 pm »
We definitely get 30min UT naps here (and 30min OT too ::)). I'd give the second A another push, esp after the shorter morning A and good nap.  The A times are low, but she was early, right (I mean more than a week or two)? That could have something to do with it.  And, she could be a bit HSN as well.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 15:14:05 pm »
She was only 2 weeks early. But I def think HSN she sleeps 14.5hrs at night no matter when she goes to bed. (I am so not used to that, DD1 was always an early riser, still is) I've just pushed her 2nd A today to 2hrs so I will see how it goes.

Its so confusing, I guess I just have it stuck in my head that 30mins was always OT with DD1, but they are so different. She gets grumpy after 1hr 30 mins but I think she's at that age where she needs more stimulation. She wants to be sitting but cant and so on so maybe that's why she is grumpy instead of tiredness.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline katie80

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 15:53:15 pm »
Ok, yes 2 weeks probably doesn't make a difference, that's full term.  I must've been thinking about someone else. :-\. Def sounds like she is HSN.  And, I agree probably getting grumpy from wanting to be up and moving a bit more... seems pretty common around 5/6mo. 

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 15:59:14 pm »
Well we got 40mins  ::)

My angel baby girl

Offline katie80

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 19:59:15 pm »
Hmm, I'd hold for a few days and see if anything changes, and if not add a bit more A time. Anything else happen before that nap that might cause her to sleep differently... could she be OS, or on the flip side not enough activity?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 03:55:30 am »
Hey there  :).

If you have a 14.5 hr night I would imagine that is why she short naps all day. She is tacking an extra 2.5hrs onto her night, so that is most of her napping time used up  ;).

Sort of depends if you want to shorten it or not really.

Long nights will rob naps until they are much older and only having 1/0 naps a day when they may use extra night sleep to catch up iyswim??

Offline katie80

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 17:35:03 pm »
I agree with Liz, Gail. HSN or not, at some point that long night is going to rob her day sleep. Sorry I didn't say anything about it! :-[

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:41 am »
No that's fine. She woke earlier yesterday olny 12.5 hours of sleep.I pushed all her a times yesterday by accident we were at the doctors in the morning so first a was 2hrs 15mins and we still got 1hr 30 nap. Next a was 2 hrs and got a 40 min nap. Then 1hr 50 got 32 min nap then bt was 1hr 50 mins after that. It took longer to get her down for her naps today but last night she woke crying aftet 30 mins then every 10mind after that for 2 hours.  Then woke twice during the night and woke st 6.

My angel baby girl

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 09:23:54 am »
Seems like she was OT at bedtime, but actually your best nap was  after the longest A time  :-\. Was she strapped in a car seat or buggy for that one though??

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 09:58:23 am »
No in her cot. She always does 1hr 30 for her first nap usually after an a time of 1hr 50 x

My angel baby girl

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 12:54:58 pm »
Hmmmm. What time was bedtime last night? How much night sleep was it?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 13:51:49 pm »
Bt was 19:15 and WU 8:05 x

My angel baby girl

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 21:51:56 pm »
So it's still almost 13 hrs isn't it? I must admit I'm finding it hard to work out what to expect with a night longer than 12 hrs.

If you look at the total sleep in 24hrs with your normal routine it end up round about right, so it's kind of hard to see how to change it around without expecting an extra 2hrs sleep iyswim?

I guess I would keep the first A as it is for her usual nap, and start trying to push the A from there really. It isn't always OT that makes it harder for them to settle, some babies can be very 'clock' orientated and need a big of a push to get them past an old nap time. My DD was like that - I remember her being tired at am nap time for about 2 weeks when I was dropping onto one nap. If she had her way she would have kept on 2 naps and lots of night time parties  ::). Once we pushed past it everything was so much better.

So I guess you need to decide whether her pattern that she has at the moment is acceptable or not. Of it isn't then I think you will need to cap the night to get past the cat napping in the afternoon. But that might initially make the nights more unsettled  :-\.

If it were me I think I would be tempted to get to the magic 6 months when you can be quite sure that most babies need 2 long naps and a 12 hr night, so can more towards a more 'known' routine....  :-\. You also know the developmental short napping should be ending (unless they are genuine cat nappers).

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 15:28:19 pm »
Yeah we are getting on average 17ish hours sleep in 24 hours. So if we wait until the magic 6 months and 2 naps what A times am I aiming for getting on to 2 naps. We are at 2 just now, I'm guessing I need to be way more than that?

Also the 1 I keep getting wrong is the A time after her 45mins nap. We have been doing:

A 2hrs
Nap 1hr 30
A 2hrs
Nap 45mins
A 2hrs
Nap 30mins (she wakes herself)
A 1hr 50
BT

But its taking ages to get her down for her CN and BT so I guess I am going at the wrong times?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 15:30:24 pm by Eva's Mummy »

My angel baby girl

Offline katie80

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 00:04:00 am »
Usually it takes an A of about 3hr to make it to two naps, I think. Unless she's happy to do 2-3-4 or something like that. My DS1 is HSN, but did a CN, long nap, CN routine from about 5.5-7.5mo. It looked something like this (the first times were where we started and the second where we ended)...
W 7am
A
S 9:30/45-10:15am
A
S 12:15/30-2:00pm
A
S 4:30/4:45-5:15pm
BT 7/7:30pm

IIWY, I'd start pushing the second A time until you get another longer nap... it could be 2h15/20/30min that you need to get there. Then, you won't have to worry about the A after and can do a CN and later BT, so you get a more appropriate length night. That is, unless you want the longer night and shorter naps!