Author Topic: Nuts & Trail Mix  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 16, 2014, 21:23:23 pm »
I don't know if this is a silly question.  But when is okay to feed my toddler (18months) nuts & trail mixes. We are free and clear of allergies (thankfully), as she has had multiple types of nuts in various things and butters but I'm more curious of the actual physical ability to eat the nuts, without them being a choking hazard.  She only has 7 teeth, the 8th is on it's way and 2 bottom molars are just breaking through too, so I'm unsure of her actual chewing ability. She eats pomegranite seeds without trouble, but you can definitely tell some of them come out as they go in, no chewing involved!

Any ideas?   Thanks in advance :)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Nuts & Trail Mix
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 21:32:42 pm »
I don't think I would give anything that is a choking hazard until I was confident my lo could deal with it. Maybe hold off on whole nuts for a while?

Tbh I am still wary of things like boiled sweets and my DS is nearly seven!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 04:04:08 am »
I would skip nuts for now (and for some reason I think the rec here is 4 years old?). DD3 has all her one year molars and can do some chewier stuff now but something hard and solid like that is just asking for trouble imo...at the very least I would want to brush up on my first aid before going there! What else would be in the trail mix?
Heidi

Offline Baby_A_Mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 17:20:27 pm »
Sounds great, thanks Ladies.  We'll keep holding off.  I was just fully curious, I'm a first time mom and have seen some mom's give them to little ones less than a year (I was shocked) but I had no clue when it was actually considered okay!  It seems early to me!

We usually make our own trail mix (less salty and everything we like that way!).  I will just give her some of dried fruit without the nuts as she develops more of an ability to chew.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 17:25:16 pm »
If you are making it yourself can you try adding thinly sliced almonds and maybe tiny bits of chopped walnuts?  Still loads of the nut benefits but without the coking hazards!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 19:11:01 pm »
In the UK the NHS guides are not to give peanuts or nuts whole until 5yo because of the choking hazard. It's ok to give them chopped though as pp said.
I didn't know the advice was 5yo and have given DS whole nuts occasionally, rare though as they give him a bit of the runs.