Author Topic: Baby refusing breast (nine months) and sleeping gone awry  (Read 3577 times)

Offline mrsginafrica

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby refusing breast (nine months) and sleeping gone awry
« on: December 31, 2014, 14:49:04 pm »
I'm getting quite stressed out at my nine month old who has recently started going off the boob during the day and before bed (first feed still works fine) and when I give her the bottle she takes it like a dream but only 4oz a time.

She is also cutting naps short and waking up in the night, unsurprisingly hungry (or at least taking a feed then). This has happened the last 4-5 nights but I don't want it to become a habit. She's turned quite fussy with food too and will either eat a couple of spoons of something or polish off a whole bowl of pasta so doesn't seem to be hunger related.

I'm pretty sure she's teething (four through and another on the way) but this seems a more drastic acclimatisation than with the other teeth. Could it be something else I'm missing or do I need to ride it out? I feel exhausted - not least as she's sleeping less in the day and then waking at night.

Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Baby refusing breast (nine months) and sleeping gone awry
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 16:01:41 pm »
How many bottles does she have? Are you giving the bottle when she refuses the breast? Just wondering if she is developing a bottle preference?

The teeth could definitely be affecting things though. It is uncomfortable to nurse when teething and she may find the bottle less painful. Are you giving pain meds? 5 is a lot to get in one go which may be why she is having more trouble this time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 19:05:07 pm »
Hi...few weeks later and same problem. She will now feed happily first thing but refuse BFing for the rest of the day. She will take bottle but sometimes only one.
She was having three feeds a day before so two bottles would be enough (noon and bedtime). She's eating really well and often preferring food to milk but obviously she's almost 10 months so still needs milk.
Getting concerned now that she isn't getting what she needs.
We have had a lot of change recently too. Travelled from S Africa to UK (three days, three flights) and she she refused everything on one of those days.
Don't know what to do or what to try!!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 19:17:24 pm »
Do you offer milk before or after solids? 

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 19:41:35 pm »
Offer milk first thing, then after morning nap (sometimes leave half an hour and then offer if first refused) and again before bedtime. So midday feed OR 4pm feed is before solids (first thing is still no problem though she's ready for breakfast very soon after - usually wait an hour) and bedtime feed is after solids. Tonight she didn't take it but did take a bottle at 4pm.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 21:54:20 pm »
Does she have much milk in her solids? If you use breast milk or formula it all counts towards her daily total. Milk on cereal etc. all counts.

Is she still feeding at night?

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 22:20:05 pm »
She has plenty of milk in solids (porridge or cereal for brekkie) but I use cows milk for that - is that ok??

She will take about 6oz in one bottle of formula and 4-6oz in another plus a decent morning feed from me.

Just wondering how much I should be concerned and persist or whether it's ok just to chill out!

She weaned herself off the dreamfeed around 7-8mths so no night feeds. I did do a couple a few weeks back when she was teething - took the boob easily then!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 22:26:00 pm »
It is ok to use cows milk in food from 6mo but it doesn't add to her breast milk/formula intake.

If she is having two bottles and a BF then I'd be happy with that at 10mo.

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 21:01:20 pm »
Ok so today morning feed, breakfast and lunch went down a treat BUT no further milk feeds and hardly any dinner. This is typical right now.

I have noticed FOUR teeth all coming through at the same time (four already there) but I'm getting very frustrated at her now combined boob and bottle strike :(

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 21:54:00 pm »
Are you giving meds or other pain relief for the teething.

I'd be tempted to wait it out and see if things improve when the teeth have cut.

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 22:57:21 pm »
Yeah we tried ibuprofen and some calpol today (plus teething gel). Probably been going very conservative on the pain meds so far but now I've seen how many teeth are coming through I will make sure we stay on it.

Thanks for advice

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:02 am »
Fingers crossed it helps

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 15:10:17 pm »
Ok things that have worked: being sleepy. Goes against EASY but she's taken the boob just before a nap and also I have reintroduced the dream feed just to make sure she has three milk feeds a day. She is now consistently not feeding after the morning feed: boob or bottle.
She now has a cold and cough too! We've upped the pain meds and bonjela teething gel which seem to have helped the eating but not the feeding. Sleep is generally still fine.

I'm thinking that if she is refusing both boob and bottle id rather keep trying the boob so my supply isn't affected (if that hasn't already happened as I've not been pumping).

We have just travelled from S Africa back to UK so that hasn't helped routine etc but she was striking before we left so it's not just that.

Things I have tried: feeding at any time of day, skin to skin, formula (ready made and made up), different bottles and teats, daddy feeding, giving up and seeing if she'll ask for it (nope!).

She is ten months today so I guess I've got two more months of trying!

Next step-formula with her food!

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 20:35:29 pm »
Sounds like you're doing all the right things but check out our FAQ in case there is anything else you haven't thought of. Is my baby weaning or is it a nursing strike?

Offline mrsginafrica

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 21:24:39 pm »
Thanks that is a really helpful post. I found skin-to-skin pre-bath worked a treat tonight. She also fell asleep a lot faster too.

Appreciate the support and encouragement. She is a complete textbook baby so this really threw me! Hopefully she will get back to normal soon. Managed two feeds today which is progress ;)