Author Topic: colic and breastfeeding  (Read 1035 times)

Offline newmomagain

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 06, 2015, 14:32:23 pm »
today I am at my almost end I am 9 weeks breastfeeding 3weeks into colic and had my mother-in-law in my home for 3 weeks starting the colic. Trying anything on the shelf to help him, now coli calm seems to be working. Milk is low now let is slow and he hasn't pooped in almost 2 days. Should I worry?I think stress and worry is making low milk this is a horrible cycle. Any advice besides relax? Does this get any easier? :'( ???

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: colic and breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 21:11:03 pm »
Welcome to BW and first of all big hugs. It is hard in those first few months but yes it does get easier, especially if it is colic causing the trouble as they grow out of that.

Do you think reflux could be an issue? Have a look at this FAQ and see if he has any symptoms Reflux 101 - General reflux information

Also check out our FAQ on low supply. There is advice on working out if supply really is an issue and if so what to do about it. I'm worried I may have low milk supply

It can be common for an EBF baby to skip a few days of pooping since the milk is so easily absorbed and there is hardly any waste. But do you think the colic calm could be causing constipation? What are his poops like since you started using that? Do they still look like a normal BF baby poop, yellow and runny?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Re: colic and breastfeeding
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 01:55:08 am »
(((hugs))) My first LO was colicky and it is so tough. I have no BFing advice - Ali is way more knowledgeable - but what worked for us was Dr. Karp's 5s's. You can find a video of the technique on youtube. A tight swaddle, loud white noise, and the jiggling calmed the crying in minutes after a bit of practice. He does have a DVD you can buy that was really helpful in dealing with colic.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014