Author Topic: Advise on expressing/mixed feeding  (Read 1940 times)

Offline B12309

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 15, 2015, 16:29:58 pm »
Hi, I am a new mum my LO is just over 3 weeks old. So far breastfeeding has been going well, she has been gaining weight nicely. She is tending to go 2-3hours between feeds and feeds for about 20mins each time. We have had some nights where she has been feeding every hour and has been very unsettled but I put this down to growth spurts and perhaps a little trouble with wind.

I know it is early days yet but I am interested in getting some advice on expressing and mixed feeds as this is sometime I would like to try in a few more weeks.
 I really want to continue to breastfeed but I am not confident at all about feeding out and about and worry about people coming over because of the feeds. I can't image ever being comfortable about feeding public :( I feel really bad about not wanting to breastfeed all the time I also feel that it would make me happier to know that my partner or someone else would be able to feed her now and again.
 I have expressed the odd bottle for my partner to be able to feed when I have been really tired on the days she is cluster feeding and when we have to go out for longer periods.  However usually I have to then top up breastfeed after because I haven't expressed enough. I am wondering how it best to go about expressing for regular feeds. When is best to express, when is best to miss that feed etc without it effecting my supply etc. Or is it better to try formula for certain feeds?

Also I would like to try EASY routine but at the moment LO feeding to sleep, the so A isn't really happening. Does anyone have any suggestions or it this something that will become easier the older she gets as at the moment she only really spends a few hours awake and alert and is usually early evening.

Thanks for your help

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Advise on expressing/mixed feeding
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 18:46:25 pm »
If you want to build a freezer stash it's best to pick a time of day to pump and stick to it. That was your body starts treating that as an extra feed and produces more milk at that time. In my case the best time was in the morning as I had the most milk then. Straight after DD's morning feed I could sit down and pump. The volume you get increases over time if you stick to a regular time. I was finally getting a bottle a sitting and we ended up with 3/4 of the freezer full of milk. Bit nuts;)
I also hated feeding in public! My breasts are far from small and attract enough attention any way, having them out in public was just more than I could do. Usually if people were over, I took DD to the next room for the feed. If out and about I'd try feed in a rest room or under a cloth. There is also sth called a hooter hider that worked even better than the cloth because it stayed put, covered everything and had a hole I could see DD through and she could see me:
http://www.amazon.com/Hooter-Hiders-Nursing-Cover-Nest/dp/B002MB4YYI

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 16:08:37 pm »
Hi there:)
If you're thinking of doing mixed feeds, simply to avoid nursing in public, please do reconsider. I never thought I would be able to either but it actually isn't a big deal at all. I was never comfortable using the nursing cover, so instead I use the two T-shirt method. You can't see a thing! http://diaryofadoula.blogspot.in/2011/05/how-to-discreetly-breastfeed-in-public.html You can practice in front of a mirror before you try it outside. If you have people over, you could always just excuse yourself and go into another room.

I totally get wanting to build a stash so that DH or another family member can help out with feeds, especially the night ones or if you want to get out for a bit. I used to get up an hour before DD and pump then. Always got plenty at that time. PP's advice to you about this is spot on, especially since you will be nursing for the rest of the day and night :p

I also want to caution you about using formula right now. Your supply is still stabilizing and to build it up, it is important for your DD to nurse often and to keep her on each breast for long enough. Every time you supplement with formula instead, you are signalling your body to make that much less milk. I have known mothers who have ended up with low supplies and without any option but give formula primarily due to mixed feeds early on in the game.

Offline B12309

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 13:00:02 pm »
Thank you for your replies. I have bought a nursering cover to try just need to be brave enough to try now.
I do the two top method at home but still would feel comfortable out doing this due to large areola I think ppl could still see. At home I go to another room if we have visitors, I just feel awkward as they have come to see the baby and we sprnd half the time in another room. I guess as she gets a bit older we will know roughly what times she will want feeding.
I wasn't considering to use forulma until after 6-8wks so I guess until then maybe some regular expressing will help.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 13:09:57 pm »
Do you have any breastfeeding support groups near you where you could go to practise feeding in public and get used to seeing others do it? It can be hard to get over that psychological barrier if it Is not something we are used to seeing.

Honestly, I think regardless of size people can see a lot less than you'd think.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 13:11:29 pm »
I get that you're nervous and that you like not to be 'showing off' ;) If you're considering FF just because you think you would be uncomfortable out feeding, I really think you should think again though.  I mean, it is still very early days :)  you and baby are still getting into the swing of things.  When she's bigger she will feed less often, you will be more adept at manoeuvring her around, and actually your breasts will probably be a bit more like their normal size.  You are in peak crazy milk production at the moment :) 

Do you have a group of friends with similar ages babies?  There is nothing that will boost your confidence to feed quite like having buddies who are doing the same thing.  :)  If you don't have a group, then a baby class might be a good idea, or if in the UK, the NCT?  Finding friendly cafés, and a good table in that café are also good strategies.  Yk, there might be a place where lots of young mothers go, where bfing is pretty normal, where you can find a corner table, or sit with your back to the rest of the room.  There are lots of ways round these things.

I don't know where you are but the law in the UK is that a breast-feeding mother has the right to feed anywhere.  A lot of public places also have 'breast-feeding' welcome stickers just to encourage you further. 

Agree with Fleur about being cautious about introducing formula too early. :)  But I know you're planning for the future rather than for right now. Just give yourself time to get used to everything.   

Posted with Ali, totally agree.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 14:30:35 pm »
For the first 2 months, my DD took AGES to nurse! And yes, I did hear a few comments from family members when I would disappear into a room for ages. But seeing the baby is not as important as what you are doing. I would simply put on a nursing cover and invite MIL/ my mom to join me as I nursed. I must tell you -- after you get used to nursing, you will be surprised at how little modesty really matters when you need to give nourishment to your baby:) These are just early days and what you are feeling is totally normal:) Give yourself and your baby time to get used to it.

And till you are comfortable nursing outside, you could plan around your outing -- nurse right before you leave your house to minimize having to do it outside and plan to be back before the next time a feed is needed?