Author Topic: Major constipation issues with 6.5 month old  (Read 2413 times)

Offline athenasmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • What ice cream ... I had no ice cream!!!
Major constipation issues with 6.5 month old
« on: January 16, 2015, 16:21:25 pm »
Hi all,

DD is 6.5 months old and is now eating solids 3 times a day. She takes around 20 - 25 oz milk. We BF twice a day in the morning and in the evening and she gets 3 bottles at daycare then one bottle for DF. I rarely have to supplement with formula and if I do then it is only about 2-4 oz a day mixed to the EBM. She has been having issued with constipation since we had to start supplementing with formula but only very occasionally and for short periods then she would be back to normal. However, now she has been having major issues with it and for extended periods of times. I have read a lot of resources about constipation and make sure her solid diet does not include apples, bananas, rice, carrots or squash. We do wholegrain cereal and even of that just a few tablespoon-fulls a day mixed to fruits. We do a lot of pears, peaches prunes, green beans and peas, which all should be laxative. But no result her poos just keep getting harder and she is in a lot of discomfort due to that. I also tried to get her to drink more fluids by introducing a sippy with water or watered down juice but she is not interested and does not seem to like any other fluids than milk. She is not interested to increase her milk intake either. She just won't nurse more often or drink more no matter what. I am at a loss because with my first one we never had anything like this. Any advice?
*Suzanna*

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Major constipation issues with 6.5 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 22:28:19 pm »
Have you seen your dr? That would be my first point of call. Maybe they can recommend an alternative formula if you suspect that is what is causing the constipation.

Or do you think it is the solid foods? She is having 3 meals already which is quite a lot for her age. How do you feel about cutting back on solids for a while to see if that helps?

Btw babies shouldn't eat much of wholegrain foods because they contain too much fibre and can prevent LO from absorbing nutrients from other foods.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 02:34:58 am »
Is the formula one of the ones with added iron? I have heard that can be constipating. I agree with Ali though that the dr is a best first port of call! 
Heidi

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:45:37 am »
Can dairy in my diet cause constipation? I used to not eat dairy when she was a newborn but added it back around 5 months. I do not kmow whether she was actually sensitive to diary, but my DS was so I just cut it out as a procaution. She did not seem to have any fussiness when I added it back to my diet, but we have been having these constipation issues since then. I can cut back some of the solids of course.
*Suzanna*

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 04:05:40 am »
Yes it can. All three of my kids had mpi and the main symptom for DD2 was constipation. The other two got mildly constipated but she was way worse. I assume it is a dairy based formula as well?
Heidi

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 14:43:32 pm »
We had to resort to a glycerin suppository which made things moving and cleaned her out. Since then she had 3 normal poos so we are OK for now. I had a good talk with the pedi and realized that I have been mixing the formula wrong  :-[ I put the formula first then the water thus I never measured the water right and always put about 1/2 to 3/4 oz less water than should have. Since we do not always need to use formula, this problem did not occur all the time but now when I think back her constipation usually started when we had to use more formula for some reason.
Just as a precaution, I am off dairy again for a while. It is hard but I am used to it by now  ;) We used dairy based formula for a while but now we also switched to Nutramigen, which is a hypoallergenic non-dairy based one. I cannot mix more than 1 oz of this to her milk though because it is quite bitter and she would not drink it.  :P Can we try soy formula instead? What brand did you use Masyn?
*Suzanna*

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 16:43:27 pm »
I used soy (Isomil) for my older kids and Nestle Goodstart for DD3 (it is dairy based but only whey and the most broken down of mainstream formulas, kind of middle of the road between regular and hypo formula).
Heidi

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 18:34:00 pm »
I used the Nestle Good Start sensitive formula with DS too and he never had any issues. I wonder if I should try that next. She just does not like the hypo allergenic one. I tasted it just to know and it is really yucky ... bitter so I can't really blame her  :P
*Suzanna*

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:21:51 am »
Blech!! I think normal formula is pretty gross, that must have been yucky!
Heidi

Offline athenasmom

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 15:41:43 pm »
I am doing everything right and she id getting a bit constipated again. I think I will reduce solids and take out meats for a while to see what happens. She will not like that though. She loves her solids  ;D
*Suzanna*