Author Topic: 5 months and still not a consistent feed routine  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
5 months and still not a consistent feed routine
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:49 am »
She is driving me potty. When she wakes she will take 6oz but this is with putting it in and out and she pushed it away then wants it back and so on. Then 3hrs later I try to feed her and she might take 2-3oz then be crying 2hrs later and take 5oz. I have tried making her wait 4hrs until her next bottle but it is just the same a couple of oz then crying a short while later for more.
She is on Dr brown level 2 teats, I tried moving her up to level 3 but it is just pouring out the side of her mouth. She never just takes the bottle there is always lots of in and out of the bottle. Its really difficult to do anything as I never know when she will want a feed.

From 10 weeks she was sleeping through the night but the past 2 months when all this silliness started she has been waking during the night for a feed and will happily take 6oz at her DF and NF. During the day she might only have about 16oz - 19oz in 2-4.5 oz bottles. She weight 14lbs 3oz

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 5 months and still not a consistent feed routine
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 20:57:40 pm »
Have you tried waiting a while after wake up to see if she's a bit hungrier then? I would stretch the bottles to get to 4 hours, it will mean distracting her to start but she will take more when she is hungrier.

How long does she take to feed?

Laura

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 15:02:40 pm »
I have tried waiting 30 mins but she is still fussy. Today she had 4oz for her morning bottle and that was a push then I waited 4 hours for the next (she was quite grumpy) but she still only took 4oz again, I tried to give her more 30mins later an she wouldn't take anymore. She has also started to be sick (not lots but some) after each bottle. She does have a wee cold just now but this has been going on longer than her cold.

My angel baby girl

Offline Maxsmum2014

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 19:31:37 pm »
This is exactly what I was trying to explain in my post. My boy is 5 months old and has been doing it for a month and a bit. Have you also noticed napping is shorter since this started happening? Hopefully we get it figured out soon!

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 19:51:17 pm »
Yep, which doesn't help with the feeding situation. Nice vicious circle x

My angel baby girl

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 20:07:07 pm »
Have you tired reducing the amount in the night feed to see if that improves things? Might have to go slow though.

Is she very distractible when feeding?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 20:15:17 pm »
She only has one NF of 6oz. She can be distracted and just starts smiling and laughing. But even if I ignore her she is still the same a few wee sips, then pushing in away then pulling it back again and so on and so on then lips are stuck shut after 4oz.

My angel baby girl

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 20:19:43 pm »
Are you feeding in a nice quiet place or with your DD1 wizzing around? I'm more familiar with the breast feeding tricks at this age, but a lot of mums feed after a nap still in the dark room.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 20:25:28 pm »
DD1 goes the a CM 3 days a week and she is the same wither she is there or not. She has actually started being a bit sick after her bottles and her nappies (poo) are very watery like just being absorbed into her nappy so maybe there is something else going on. I don't know I'm just clutching at straws I think.

My angel baby girl

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 20:32:29 pm »
If she is faffing about then she might be taking more air in, and the increased wind can make them sickly.

Obviously reflux can do things like this, but it usually presents at about 2 months, and has a big affect on sleep etc.

I assume you haven't changed formula or started solids?

My DS2 has cows milk protein issues, but again they present early in formula fed babies. He also vomited his whole feed up after about 45mins, and diarrhoea after every feed.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 20:38:49 pm »
No change in formula or started solids yet.

They did suspect cows milk allergy when she was younger but decided no. They didn't do any tests though. She does not bring the whole bottle up maybe just an 1oz or so and only one poo a day but always like water. DD1 had reflux so I'm confident that its not that.
Maybe she is just going through a phase, its just frustrating cos I'm sure she is hungry as she wolfs it down when she is sleeping.

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 21:51:30 pm »
Her behaviour on the bottle does sound very typical of reflux though - feeding better while sleeping, messing around on the bottle, taking a couple of oz when you know they must be hungry and refusing anymore are classic symptoms :-\

Her poo doesn't sound right, I think it would be worth investigating the intolerance aspect again with the Dr.

Laura