Author Topic: need help implementing!  (Read 1139 times)

Offline v0micj01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Victoria-mom to Calvin(12/30/14)
« on: January 28, 2015, 17:00:09 pm »
Hello all! I am a FTM to a sweet baby boy(BF) who will be a month on Thursday(how do they grow so fast?!) We're on a pretty good 3 hour EASY schedule, but generally, one of the nap times baby boy decides he wants awake time. So he'll stay up, alert and happy the whole time, then eat on time, a diaper change, and that's pretty much it.

Currently he sleeps in our room in a moses basket. I have occasionally gotten him to sleep(and well, maybe three times) for a nap in his crib. I have two books, the intial baby whisperer book, and the solution book. But I have some questions.

First of all, our typical schedule
E 6:00
A 6:40-7
S/Y 7-9
E 9
A 9:40-10:15
S/Y 10:15-12
E 12
A 12:40-1:20
S/Y 1:20-3
E 3
A 3:40-4:20
S/Y 4:20-6
E 5-5:40 cluster 1
A 5:40-7
S/Y we skip this because he doesn't do catnaps, if we got him down, he wouldn't wake up until 9.
E 7-7:40
A SKIP
S/Y Bedtime
1. First of all, baby boy has only been around for four weeks, and alot of the questions in the quiz seemed to apply to older children(6-8) weeks so I'm not certain what type of personality he has. Is he too young, or am I missing something?

2. Shush-pat doesn't work for him. It seems the only thing that works is a paci, and I think it's a prop. If it falls out before he's asleep, he loses it, but if he's asleep, its no big deal. Does that make it a prop? She said if it wakes him up, its a prop, so I'm a bit confused.

3. PU/PD is something that we're not suppose to do with him at this current age, but honestly, sometimes its the only way to get him calmer.

4.Dreamfeed, we just tried our first one last night. we've been clustering for about a week. Usually we'll cluster feed 5 & 7, then he'll sleep until about midnight without the DF. Last night we DF at 10, and then he was still up at midnight.  He only took an ounce(I pumped and we bottle fed) and I know it can take a little while for babies to get the hang of dfing. But is 10 too late? all the schedules in the book, seem to have wake up at 7am, and we're doing 6am, so should the df be between 9 & 10?

4.a. For the dream feed, do we physically pick up baby boy? Or feed him in his moses basket?

I think there is alot of great info and techniques in the book, I'm just thinking maybe DS is a bit too young to implement ALL of them. We do swaddle, and set the scene, and we started just sitting and that seems to help quite a bit, but the shush-pat kills us. This morning I shushed patted for an hour and a half, he'd calm down and I'd continue doing it for a bit, and I'd stop(and try to shower) and he'd be ok for a few minutes, then lose it again. SO eventually I scrapped it, he's now in my ktan wrap and sleeping, still poorly, I think he just got WAY over tired, and there was no recuperating. We'll do E, diaper change, and nap.

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: need help implementing!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 02:00:24 am »
Hi there, I am sorry you haven't had a response yet! I don't want to read and run and I will be back, but wanted to drop this link off for now, have a look here:
Getting started - how I survived the first 3 months

Maryn

[/url]

Offline v0micj01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Victoria-mom to Calvin(12/30/14)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 02:53:51 am »
Thanks! That did help quite a bit. I just have a question about bedtime. If I cluster 6, 8, &10, I should start bedtime routine at 930 if we're not going a bath? So then at 10, I feed and after put him down awake?

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: need help implementing!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 18:53:17 pm »
Yes, that sounds good. I would not particularly worry about the awake bit at the end of the day so if he dozes off, that is not a bit deal.

Maryn

[/url]