Author Topic: When to wean?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
When to wean?
« on: February 02, 2015, 19:06:11 pm »
My LO is now 1 and I am wondering when I should transition him away from formula?
He doesnt do bottles, just cups with straws, so I don't think he'll miss sucking time.
Currently, he has three 8oz bottles a day.
And would I drop a bottle or replace it with cows milk?  ???

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: When to wean?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 19:59:37 pm »

And would I drop a bottle or replace it with cows milk?  ???

From 1 you can move to cow's milk, either by just swapping it straight or reducing the formula and replacing with cow's milk bit by bit. It can make some toddlers a bit constipated at first while they adjust so it's something to be aware of.

It's great that he is using straw cups not bottles so you don't really need to worry about it. If he is eating well with the 3 cups of milk you can keep them if you want, but if he's not eating well I would drop one or reduce them all a bit as milk can be really filling. They only need 12-14oz of dairy to get their needs met from 1 and that includes food so he's getting plenty!

I'll move this over to eating for toddlers too!

Laura

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 12:39:20 pm »
Oh good to know! I've been having a tough time figuring this out. I just moved to Sweden and their formula after one is totally different. Its called Välling and has wheat and other grains in it. But, its so thick that my LO has a hard time sucking it through a straw and isn't much interesting in other food. I've started serving only half of Välling and half regular milk.
Perhaps I'll just do regular milk from now on. And in terms of milk 3% Fat is ok? They also have up to 4.5% fat here (yummmm).

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 16:58:50 pm »
Ooh 4.5 % yum! We use 3.25% here for DD3 (and in my coffee ;)) but she does not really like the taste so I got her more formula - she only has 12 oz a day though.
Heidi

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 19:06:43 pm »
In the Uk the recs are full fat or whole milk up until 2 and then you can change to semi-skimmed if they are eating well. I *think* our whole milk is 3.5% so the 4.5% is probably similar to our extra creamy gold top - mmmm! I think the 3% will be fine but you could always see what other mums give if they aren't giving the formula!

Laura

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 19:45:48 pm »
I *think* our whole milk is 3.5%
Yes I think that's right. I just read on DS's "whole milk" (which we call full fat) that it is less than 4% so it's going to be 3 or 3.5% ish.  gold top is a bit of a rarity these days isn't it?