Author Topic: GS or breast becoming prop?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Animom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 08, 2015, 04:41:59 am »
My DS is going to be 12 weeks tomorrow..he feeds at 2.5-3 hours during day time..but night time have been total mess since 2 days...

Day before yesterday, he was up every hour since 3 am..he would wake up crying and I would feed him and he would feed for 5 mins some times n 2 mins the other time n go off to sleep..

Yesterday night he woke up every hour to hour an half after 12..i tried to settle him with shsh pat n walking / rocking (that is how he sleeps during day time) but he would scream so loudly n I had to offer him the breast so that he doesn't wake DH..usually he feeds for 5 mins n drift off but yesterday night he would sleep on the boob n then as soon as i would break the latch he would start screaming...he would feed again n the same thing would happen atleast 3 times before he would doze off...

Then around 4 and every hour after that he would just feed for 2 mins n then drift off..

Is this GS/ sleep regression / boob becoming prop?...how long will thus last...i'm soooo exhausted...last night has been a nightmare

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: GS or breast becoming prop?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 22:02:28 pm »
GSs can last 3-7 days more or less.

Is he an independent sleeper for naps and BT or how does he fall asleep?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 22:30:23 pm »
For naps n BT, i swaddle n do shsh pat while carrying him on my shoulder and walking...for the morning nap he some times falls asleep while i just walk with him...but i put him in the crib only when he is asleep.also he gets uo at around 30-40 mins n i have to extend naps by either shsh pat n walking or nursing to sleep. He manages to do A of 1hour 25 mins..

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 22:36:52 pm »
Ok so I would work on getting him to fall asleep independently. Maybe start off doing the shush pat in the cot for the last bit and reduce it slowly until he is going in awake and you can leave him to self-settle. It sounds like he just can't get himself back to sleep when in light sleep after 4am.

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:33:44 am »
I think you are right Ali...yesterday night was little better but most of the time he got up took a 2 min feed n them went right back to sleep...so he is relying on the breast to fall asleep...Aggh I was so careful not to nurse him to sleep for naps...didnt know it could still become a prop at night...hope I'm able to break this habit soon...

One Q..if I settle him in crib n he does sleep..he jolts n opens his eyes at 20 mins n is sometimes awake at 40 min mark..how should I resettle at that time..

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 07:58:23 am »
If he isn't crying you can just leave him to see if he will resettle himself. If he starts crying you can shush pat. You can also try holding through the jolts. See the last paragraph of this FAQ How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 12:08:52 pm »
Its just hard to believe that things have gone south so fast...till 3-4 days he was just sleeping fine at night (though still not sttn, though I was not expecting that either)..n I was always able to extend naps...today we have had EW, awful OT naps...keeping fingers crossed n praying for a miracle fir tonight...

Just makes me wonder if it could be something else..like he has started rolling from tummy to back (though not every time) or a wonder week..

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 13:16:46 pm »
Their sleep cycles do change between 3-4mo and they spend less time in deep sleep, instead cycling between light and deep more like adults. That is why babies who have previously sttn almost start waking more at night between 3 and 4mo. If they have a prop and cannot fall back to sleep alone they start having NWs where they need the prop.

Offline Animom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 14:03:24 pm »
Ok...that makes sense..so the only solution is to help them sleep independently asap...thanks Ali