Author Topic: Napping Frustrated  (Read 826 times)

Offline MummyKateS

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:09:32 am »
Please Help.
My son is on 3 hour easy and we did so well, he was napping and sleeping really well at night.

He is 4.5 months and ready to transition to 4 hour easy but the problem I am having is getting him to nap now.
We always have put him down drowsy but awake previously after calming him after activity.

Even if he's showing tired signs now he will fight me to calm down and just play with his paci (which we use at sleep only).He always then ends up crying and never settles.
He's actually put himself to sleep with no intervention a handful of times, but I can't seem to replicate...
The paci is going to have to go, but when he sucks his fingers he then ends up spitting up masses of drool and ends up soaking wet!
Not ideal for sleep either.

He has a bit of reflux which stops him settling, and sometimes gas gets in the way too...

Strange thing is, he's sleeping 11-12 hours st night...
He is around 20lb and eating 8oz at feeds

Im really struggling with the screaming fights at naptime. He does eventually go down drowsy, but it feels wrong. He'll probably only nap 20 mins and that's not enough time for shower!!

I know pupd us probably the answer. But I fear the cries. I suffer anxiety and pnd so need to get a handle on it and get some me time back.

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Napping Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 13:23:31 pm »
Hi Kate and welcome to BW.

Waking at 20mins does sound like discomfort to me. How is the reflux controlled? Is he on meds?

Would you mind posting your easy for me to see if something's stands out routine wise too? There is an awful sleep regression at 4mo which may also be at play here. If you look through these boards, there's literally hundreds of posts about this nasty regression. In any case, let's have a look at your routine and we'll take it from there ok? X

Offline MummyKateS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 14:32:53 pm »
We start between 7 and 8 when he wakes and feed 3 hourly - ish depending on what we have on.
We do various things during the week meaning that we can't be regimented with times, but follow the eat play sleep.
He goes to bed well at 7:30 after bath, then feed, then into cot drowsy, and will sleep up to 12 hours. Occasionally may stir for a bit of sick or burp. But unless is windy in the night, no issues.

Reflux is not controlled his weight is fine, doesn't mean he doesn't struggle occasionally.

It's the fight to get him to sleep that's the issue. He does have to sleep on the go sometimes, but always in cot at home. Lately though getting him in it drowsy is a battle.

I don't know if he's hungry as he gets mega inconsolable and calms when fed... Does Not always result in a sleepy baby after though.

I know the inconsistencies are the problem in our routine as we can't stick to exact timings.
Things like swimming and sensory are available at the times they ate available.
When at home I try to get him to settle between 1.5 and 2 hours post feeds when I think he's tired.
He's never receptive though, and even on me is hard to get settled, let alone in the cot.

Offline MummyKateS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 14:59:36 pm »
I should add that today, two naps at home have been catastrophicly ruined due to a poo, and wind respectively and this is what was preventing me putting him down.
He won't go down uncomfortable in the slightest.... Nor would I...
He ate at 8 and the 9:30 nap didn't happen.
He also ate at 11 and the 12:30-1 nap also hasn't happened...
Now have overtired King Crankypants 😣

Offline MummyKateS

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 15:29:15 pm »
Attached screen shot of the last few days total anarchy...

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: Napping Frustrated
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 13:02:53 pm »
I think I would get his reflux meds checked hun. I'm helping someone else out on another thread and she is experiencing similar issues. It was suggested that 4mo is a prime time for reflux to flare and the meds needing to be rechecked. It might be an idea to check with your doctor?

I know your days are different but are you working to roughly a 2hr A time? It seems like it from your post. That sounds about right for his age. I would stick closer to 2hrs than 1.5hrs.