Author Topic: Anyone switched to plant based milk?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Anyone switched to plant based milk?
« on: February 16, 2015, 19:05:21 pm »
I`ve been thinking about switching dd from formula to milk for a while now but I cant decide which one is the best.
Right now she is drinking lactose free soy formula, (the only one she did not had a reaction).
She is drinking 2x8oz bottles, morning and evening, sometimes midday.

She can`t have any dairy. I do tests from time to time, it does not matter what it is and how its made, she always has a reaction.
I try to make her meals so that they are rich with calcium, protein...
She eats lots of beans, collard greens, lots of greens,broccoli,  oatmeal, bread with (sesame) seeds. Anything I`ve read its good for her and high in calsium.
If she has a balanced like this, does she need milk?

I gave her some rice milk, she is fine with it, but wont drink much of it.
I was thinking of almond milk but I haven`t given her any nuts yet. Her doctors said she is very sensitive and to be careful with this.
Few days ago I gave her to taste my smoothie that had strawberries in  and she was fine, no reaction. I don`t know if I should see this as positive  and try almonds.  ???

Anyone has went trough this? What kind of milk did you tried? When? How?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Anyone switched to plant based milk?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 19:53:54 pm »
I know in the UK (unsure about other countries....even my own ;)) that rice milk is not recommended for kids under a certain age due to arsenic. Hopefully someone who knows more of the details of that will chime in. I do know that here they recommend formula until two for kids who cannot have dairy but if the diet is complete enough otherwise I imagine it isn't necessary.

Have they done allergy testing to know she could be sensitive to nuts? Imho eating strawberries and being fine is no indication of what will happen when other allergenic foods are given, reactions just cannot be predicted like that. Also allergy testing can lead to false negatives so one never knows for sure unless they ingest the food and have a reaction.
Heidi

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 20:56:14 pm »
That`s very informative, tanks.

No, they have not done tests. Just one for milk protein when she was a few months old and it was negative  :-X
Allergy tests are done usually after 3.

I do know that here they recommend formula until two for kids who cannot have dairy

I did not knew this.
I don`t mind continuing with formula.
I`ve read a lot of conflicting comments about soy and soy products and that this is the main reason why I wanted to switch.
Any thoughts on that?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 21:35:12 pm »
I have read the same stuff on soy and tbh I am not sure what to think, my older kids did well on soy formula and DD2 drank soy milk until she was 5.  Is there any family history of allergies? If not it might be worth trying almond milk as an alternative.
Heidi

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 00:25:24 am »
Mine drink almond, coconut or flax milk. I like the overall nutritional profile of flax best. I would just try out different ones to see if she likes them since it doesn't seem you're in a big rush to drop the formula. I steer away from soy, myself.
*Kate*