Author Topic: Long NWs  (Read 1053 times)

Offline lily_layne

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 65
Long NWs
« on: February 17, 2015, 00:39:24 am »
DS is 12 weeks old. For the past 3 nights when he has woken to eat he is wide awake and takes 1h-1h30 to get back to sleep. The good news is that he's only had one NW. Prior to this he usually woke twice, ate, and went back to sleep quite quickly.

Our days tend to look like this:
WU: 7:15
S: 8:45-11:15
S: 12:50-2:15
S: 3:45-5:45
BT: 7

Or this:
WU: 7:15
S: 8:30-9:30
S: 11:20-2:50 (
S: 4:10-5:45
BT: 7

Some days there are 2 short naps at the end of the day instead of one longer one but that doesn't seem to make a difference in his night. Last night he had a very long A time before bed (2h20) because he wouldn't settle for a CN. It led to a long early night waking and then he was still quite awake when he woke to eat at 5.

12 weeks is a wonder week so it could be related to that but I'm not sure that's what it is. Today he was harder to put down for naps so I think he may be ready for a bit more A time. Does it look like a routine tweak might help with the long NWs?
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Long NWs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 15:39:34 pm »
Does it look like a routine tweak might help with the long NWs?
Yes, absolutely. I think it is a matter of too much day sleep and not enough A time, so your long night waking is probably due to UT. IIWY, I would also cap naps at a max of 2 hours.
A bump in A times would probably sort this out.
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Last night he had a very long A time before bed (2h20) because he wouldn't settle for a CN. It led to a long early night waking and then he was still quite awake when he woke to eat at 5.
Wakings in the first part of the night usually indicate OT, which is understandable after 2.20 A before bed, and can also lead to EWs.

Around 4 months is also when babies drop a nap and move on to 2 naps + CN.

HTH!

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 22:48:43 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. You are an efficient mod. I've noticed how quickly you respond to posts.

Last night was much better. He woke twice but ate and went right back to sleep. He had a long nap (2 h) in the evening so I was worried but he seemed like he needed the sleep. I pushed A times a bit more today but I'm not going to cap naps yet as he does like a lot of sleep. If the long NWs return, I'll try capping.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline lily_layne

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:53:23 am »
The last few nights have been better :) I was a little slow to figure out that he wasn't actually hungry on those long NWs which would explain why he wasn't nursing well and then would puke a few times before settling down. When we were at my mom's my mom just gave him the soother when he woke at 2. I didn't think it would work as he hadn't eaten since 7 pm but he went back to sleep until 4, ate, and went back to sleep. Last night he woke at 3, I gave him the soother and he went back to sleep until 5, ate and then back to sleep! Yay!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:13:57 am »
Yay!