Author Topic: Confused! Please help me establish EASY  (Read 981 times)

Offline tillysmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 19, 2015, 16:58:19 pm »
Hi
I am a bit confused about how to start establishing EASY with my 7 week old.
1. Do I wake her at 7 on the first day?
2. Do I adhere strictly to 3 hour feeds in the day? If so I take it I wake her if she is sleeping?
3. If I wake her to feed she isn't always very hungry right away. I'm breast feeding and she was snacking all the time before I tried to get going with EASY on Monday.
4. Should I cluster and dream feed her? At present she is still waking every 3 hours in the night.
5. Is it compulsory to put her den to nap in a dark/quiet room? I also have a 2 year old so need her to nap out and about sometimes.
6. I have been giving her a dummy when she goes to sleep as I think I've misunderstood Tracey's advice on this. Am I right in thinking dummies sure ok to make her wait between feeds but not as a sleep prop?
7. If I am putting her down yo nap when I see her sleep cues she might well sleep longer than 1 1/2 hours, is that
Ok?
Sorry for all the questions. TIA

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Confused! Please help me establish EASY
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 13:01:19 pm »
Hi there, have you seen these? I will be back to answer your questions, but there is great info here:

Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
Getting started - how I survived the first 3 months

Maryn

[/url]

Offline tillysmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:11:27 am »
Hi
Yes I've read these thanks but still wasn't too sure about some of these points.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 13:43:32 pm »
1 - yes I would wake at a consistent time to start the day, it helps to establish a good rhythm :) you can be flexible within half an hour or so, e.g. If LO wakes at 6.45am that might be fine, or if you have a bad night maybe allow to sleep until 7.30am, but having things roughly in the same place I've found to be pretty helpful
2 - yes you would wake to feed at 3h all things being well.  Use your judgement though - if LO has had bad naps in the morning and needs a slightly longer one to catch up in the afternoon, then maybe allow 3.5h.  You just want to make sure you get enough feeds in the day
3 - if she's very sleepy and not that keen to feed on waking, you might want to give her a few mins, change her nappy etc to make sure she is properly awake first
4 - personally I would try one or the other.  Can't off the top of my head remember what Tracy's advice was but my philosophy has generally been to make one change at a time and then you can see what's working and what's not.
5 - you can do naps where it suits you :). My DS had lots of naps out and about at that age as I had to get out with DD.  He now has naps in bed in a dark room but since A time is longer it's less of a hassle.  I've found with both of mine that they sleep better in a dark room as they get older, but if out and about works for now then go with it.
6 - dummies are a personal choice.  You shouldn't use them to 'make' her wait for a feed though - if she is genuinely hungry then feed her.  But if she is happy just to suck that's fine.  Lots of people use dummies for sleep and love them.  As long as you are aware they can and do become props at some point the choice is yours.
7 - no problem with long naps - in fact 1.5-2h is ideal.  But see point 2 above as you'll want to wake her at some point to feed.

Hope that helps :)

Offline tillysmummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 20:49:37 pm »
Thank you very much for your help  :)