Author Topic: New: going from 2 - 3 hours between feedings = unhappy baby  (Read 2092 times)

Offline humb4375

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New: going from 2 - 3 hours between feedings = unhappy baby
« on: February 22, 2015, 05:45:44 am »
Hi I just finished reading the Baby Whisperer and realized I didn't need to be feeding my 2 mo old every 2 hours so I switched him to every 3 hours. It took him a couple days but then seemed fine with it. But after a week, he started getting really fussy, screaming most of the day, barely sleeping, waking up more at night than he has ever before. He's also spitting up a lot (like 6 times after the last feeding) and is gassy but always has been I guess. I'm so frustrated and getting less sleep than when he was a newborn. I'm starting to wonder if its reflux and he needs more frequent feedings :( Thoughts? Experience?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: New: going from 2 - 3 hours between feedings = unhappy baby
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:43:24 am »
Welcome to BW.

Yes, many EBF babies need more frequent feedings.  The BF advice in the books is outdated now and we like to think Tracy would have updated it had she still been alive.

We recommend feeding on  cue now. Tracy did say always feed a hungry baby anyway.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline humb4375

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:46:45 am »
what is ebf?
I don't think he's hungry at 2 hrs, he was happy for the first week of 3 hr feedings then the sitter feed him every 2 hrs wed and when  tried to go back to 3 hr he wouldn't do it... spitting up has been increasing gradually over the past 2 wks

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:52 am »
It does sound like he is finding the higher volume feeds hard doesn't it? If you go from 2-3 hrs they will have more milk per feed.

My DS has reflux and can't manage more than 4oz per feed (he's bottle fed). That means he is hungry every 2.5-3hrs.

Why don't you feed every 2 hrs again and see if that suits him better.

Offline humb4375

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:13 am »
I did that today and he seemed much happier... how long did it take your little one to be able to space feedings out more?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 19:23:56 pm »
Sorry EBF means Exclusively Breast Fed.

Check out this link for other common abbreviations you may come across here. Site Acronyms/Abbreviations - What they are, and what they mean.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:05:18 am »
This LO is still young.

I seem to remember my other 2 being 3 hrs at 5/6 mths, then more once solids got going.

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 21:15:44 pm »
If he's spitting up 6 times after one feeding and screaming a lot during the day, I would definitely make an appointment with your pediatrician to discuss reflux. Have you tried elevating the mattress and/or using a baby seat to keep him upright after feeding?

Another suggestion is to find somewhere to weigh your baby before and after a feeding to see how much he's taking in. They did this for moms a breastfeeding group I used to attend, but a lactation consultant, doctor's office, or L&D where you delivered might be able to do this for you. Then if he's getting a really small amount, you know that he's hungry between feedings, and if he's getting a large amount, then it might be reflux discomfort, which could mean that you need smaller, more frequent feedings, or that you can keep going with the bigger feedings at three hours if you take other measures, like keeping him upright or possibly medication, to ease the reflux.

I don't think it's uncommon for reflux pain to start suddenly at a few weeks old rather than being present from birth.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 07:27:09 am »
True - reflux normally presents at 4-8 weeks. It's once feed volumes are significant enough to cause issues.

But frequent daytime feedings doesn't necessarily mean medication. One of the recommended ways to feed a baby with reflux is 'little and often', and that may be enough to solve the issue. Just like crib elevation is enough for others, or a thickener.

Equally it is normal for some BF babies to not last 3hrs between feeds. LLL and all other breastfeeding resources support that  :).

We do think BWer BFing advice is a little outdated at this stage, and obviously Tracy is no longer here to update.

Personally I would only do pre/post feed weights if my baby was failing to gain weight or very miserable. I think it would just drive anxiety otherwise. And a BF baby is getting enough if they are settled after feeds and gain weight. Nothing to do with trying to measure number of oz.

Offline Anika920

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • FTM to a precious baby boy SAHM
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 14:36:21 pm »
I have seen people talk about EASY becoming EAEAS and the like. Is there an updated eating routine. Would this still be based on around 3 hours for a 0-3month old? My baby went through this exact same transition so I feel for OP. I felt so bad that I was misreading his hunger cues for OT. I plan on getting a scale for a while to have some peace of mind about feeds. I recommend OP do the same or find a group where you can at least weigh LO weekly. that's where I was cued into poor weight gain and a hungry babe, not OT.