Author Topic: Cow Milk Protein Allergy?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline imamama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 10, 2015, 15:12:33 pm »
When my LO was 2 weeks old we gave her dairy formula and a few hours later she projectile v omitted 4 times. We went to the doctor who said she probably has a cow milk protein allergy and that she needs to take the prescription formula. I breastfeed her so we didnt really use that formula but I wanted to have a formula on hand for when I cant feed her. Anyway now she's almost 4 months old and she had the prick test and it showed shes got no allergy but the doctor said that doesnt account for gastro symptoms, just skin ones like rashes. So basically its told us nothing. SInce then we have tried her on a soy formula which she takes fine. The question is - how likely is it she really does have a cow protein allergy? From that one event how can the doctor conclude that? Newborns do all kinds of weird stuff right? Now she's getting older I want to start weaning her but I think the soy formula isn't the best for her and I'm scared to give her the dairy one in case it makes her vomit again. The doctor is not helpful at all. What should I do? Try it? Wait until she's older?
Also should I be avoiding dairy in my diet? The doctor said I didn't need to but if she's allergic surely it will affect her from my milk? I'm so confused!
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 15:14:28 pm by imamama »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Cow Milk Protein Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 17:00:35 pm »
Hi there- did you just give her the formula the one time? I don't think that is much to go on to conclude it is a an allergy TBH. You have had milk in your diet whilst you have been BFing I assume so has she had any other symptoms? If it is an allergy or even just an intolerance many LOs still show signs though breast milk.

I believe there are formula milks that are easy to digest so you could think about them to start with? Aptimal Pepti maybe? We didn't use formula at all so not sure on all the names!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 17:01:13 pm »

Offline imamama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 18:22:48 pm »
The formula that is prescription only is aptimal pepti i think and she HATES it. it smells gross and is really expensive. But yeah we gave it her one time when I wasnt feeling well. Which is why Im unsure of saying for sure its an allergy but i am still scared to try to introduce it again. i don't think shes had any other symptoms - I mean a lot of symptoms of having an allergy is just normal newborn/young baby stuff. shes not sleeping well and is really hard to settle so i have been off milk products for 2 weeks now and have seen no improvement so tonight i started back on it.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 19:22:10 pm »
Eczema is a really common symptom - has she any of that? Unsettledness is also common as they are in discomfort - but as you say it is SO HARD to tell with a newborn.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 19:35:19 pm by Buntybear »

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 19:31:32 pm »
My DS threw up every feed for a week and when we went to nutramigen it stopped. But it still isn't proof is it?? He was 3/4 weeks at the time and it happened as soon as I stopped giving ebm.

My HV yesterday said leave it until 6+ months, then we will do a dairy challenge and go from there. It's a big deal to avoid all dairy for no reason due to calcium.

If it was just vomiting and she is 6 mths plus I think I would retry  :-\. Thomas almost hospitalized himself with dehydration, but that was 3 days of vomiting every feed.

It is hard - but at some point you do need to know I think.