Author Topic: How much should they drink  (Read 2588 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:05:17 am »
I've been obsessing over how much my kids drink for way too long. I've heard and read varying things, but it seems like they are supposed to drink a ridiculous amount. My almost 4 year old has 10 oz. of milk in the morning, probably 10 oz. of water throughout the day, and another 10 oz. of water at dinner time. My 2.5 year old has the same, except his dinner drink is milk. It's often very challenging to get them to drink even this amount, and it still seems like according to my research it's not enough. How much are everyone else's kids drinking? (Also, this is winter, so they're not sweating etc. in which case they'd need even more!)

Offline mycatmonet

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: How much should they drink
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 01:27:43 am »
A dietician said my dd should drink 1-1.2L a day. Yesterday she managed about 1-1.1L. I have to remind her all the time to keep drinking! She had 100ml milk and the rest water.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 02:45:03 am »
My 1.5 year old drinks about 12 oz of milk a day and maybe 12- 16 oz of water...I doubt I could get her to drink anymore and you also have to consider the food they eat (ie fruit, soup etc) with high water content. I am not a big drinker either, and my older kids probably drink 16-20 oz of water a day in the winter. They can all operate our water cooler so can help themselves so although I may suggest a drink I try to allow them to go by their body's signals.
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 22:38:21 pm »
I have no idea so I've just had a think and poured some water into a cup to work it out.
200ml of milk in the morning. The rest of the day he has a few sips at morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and sometimes a sip at BT. Sometimes he might ask for a drink at another time but usually not. And each of those drink is probably only 50-100ml, so 200-400ml I reckon.  He does also have a big drink once in a while which is always a bit of a surprise but I just take it that he is drinking what he needs when he needs.
you also have to consider the food they eat (ie fruit, soup etc) with high water content
And this. He eats quite a lot of fruit. I think he drinks more if/when he has a non-fruit snack.

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 23:47:59 pm »
My doc has never mentioned it, and I guess I've never calculated. For the most part, unless they're are outside and sweating significantly, I allow them to self regulate and listen to their bodies. When they're thirsty, they'll ask.If they're peeing and pooping with frequency, I find that more telling than anything else I guess. I have water  bottles around all the time, and offer frequently, but don't really ever push it. 
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 00:22:15 am »
I'm really trying to get to the 'don't push it' stage. I just worry though that they'll drink half of what they normally drink!

Offline Domestic Engineer

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:43:56 am »
My pedi said to give 12-16 oz of milk daily, and that more than that can be unhealthy as they will get too many of their calories from milk. Besides milk, just offer water all day and they will drink when they're thirsty. As long as they don't show signs of dehydration and wet frequently, no need to count ounces of water. I would guess that my 16-month baby drinks about 16 oz of milk daily, plus maybe 4-6 oz of water, and he's very well hydrated.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:31 am »
If they're peeing and pooping with frequency, I find that more telling than anything else I guess
I was going to mention about wee too - then forgot!
Morning wee might be dark due to concentrating over night but otherwise so long as the wee is fine and no constipation then I don't feel the need to push or monitor how much DS drinks.

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 10:21:25 am »
Thanks ladies! I guess I just do too much research and let it get to me!