Author Topic: Mucous and runny poos - any ideas what I could be missing?  (Read 15323 times)

Offline ~Jen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Mucous and runny poos - any ideas what I could be missing?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 21:09:20 pm »
We haven't had a poo in 3 days! I think that is good sign?   I've been doing the RAPH diet and focusing on cutting back the food chemicals.  It seems to be working!  I noticed that all the foods that I suspected were irritating her are either high or very high in sals.  I've removed those foods and subsituted with other foods that are low/moderate and the runny poos just stopped.  I don't want to get too excited yet but could this be it!?!    :D

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 21:14:09 pm »
Oh - PLEASE! I hope so much it is!

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:13 am »
I hope so. Fingers and toes crossed :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 14:47:43 pm »
Our next appt is tomorrow.  I am not looking forward to it.  This has been an emotional rollercoaster.  After my last post we had nearly a week of normal poos.  I was so excited as it confirmed it must be my diet.  It seemed the low sals/RAPH diet was the key.  I kept going and was really strict with the diet and then about a week ago, the mucous poos came back.  Just crushing.  At first it was just one off and then a few more each day until we are basically back to an explosive poo after every feed.  It is killing me because I feel like I had it - and now we are back to where we started.  Ugh.  I was too busy to keep a food diary so of course I can't remember what I was doing during that good week. 

I'm going back to the gut flora theory and maybe the effect of those changes were just delayed.  I'm finding it hard to be cutting out starches/sugars though while breastfeeding.  I assume all grains need to be cut as well?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 15:53:38 pm »
When we did the Body Ecology Diet (candida-killer! LOL), the only grains allowed on it were millet, quinoa, amaranth, and buckwheat - and of those, only millet is an actual grain (the rest are "pseudo-grains").

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 13:01:16 pm »
Just thought I would update you with the latest...   she got weighed in last week and gained just enough to keep the doctor happy for now.  She is still on the 25th centile. He is letting us go another month with BFing  :D
In the meantime, I'm still figuring out my diet.  I noticed whenever I ate a big serving of Pears her nappies were terrible.  They are low chemical so I knew I'm missing something.  I remembered someone mentioned Fructose and I started reading.  Many foods she seemed to be upset by were on that list.  Also lots of gas and some frothy like poos.  I've switched now to cutting high fructose foods and the mucous nappies have almost completely stopped.  Again, not getting too excited... it has only been 2 days. 

If anyone knows anything about fructose malabsorbtion please let me know!   

Offline deb

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 14:21:39 pm »
My kids were older when we discovered that they don't do well with fructose, so not a fount of info any more, but I have found over the years that if I say my kids don't do well with fructose, more and more people nod instead of rolling their eyes. :)

We discovered it when they had two juice boxes one afternoon and older in particular got weepy and combative and had "allergy shiners" under her eyes - from juice boxes!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 18:15:07 pm »
Sounds good Jen. Even if she has mucous she is still gaining  :).

We are getting more and more mucous, and he often foams at the end. Lots of it  :-X :-X. Got to be the milk here, but doubt they will do anything else.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 18:28:45 pm »
Olly had a problem with Fructose. Even when he was allergy tested at 1 and we knew it wasn't anything allergy related he would scream for 2 hours every single night until he passed wind. At 18 months we discovered it was FM and it stopped virtually overnight! You can google lists of high fructose foods and you basically avoid them.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2015, 20:16:24 pm »
Tom was terrible and on cutting fructose we saw a huge improvement! Pear was the worst and I was feeding him it a lot because I thought it was a 'safe' food. :'(
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2015, 04:39:54 am »
Just popping on... so many hugs momma.. it can be so challenging to figure these wee creatures out!  My refluxers are on Losec as well... here in Canada, they do contain lactose... could that be something as well?

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 09:42:20 am »
Thanks for all the support  :-*

I feel deflated today and almost ready to give up.   :'(  Tired of constantly tweaking my diet and still having these horrible poos.  First thing this morning she was super hungry and within minutes the poo was running out of her nappy all over her and me.  She was also up every hour from 3am so I am guessing tummy was unsettled.  Ugh.  Last night I ate a huge bowl of brown rice, swede, lamb burger and half a baked potato.  I guess could possibly be rice?  Could it just be my BM makes her sick?  Not sure where to go from here.  DH said just eat a normal diet and stop worrying.   :-\

Offline deb

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 12:07:03 pm »
Pah - when DH is nursing, then he gets to say that. :P (As I told my DH when I was having BF trouble, "You men have your adequacy issues - this is mine." He had no response to that! :D)

It may well have been the rice. Remember, there may be more than one thing at play here. The rice would still have broken down to sugars, and even if fructose is a primary culprit, if yeast is present also, fructose would still feed the little guys.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2015, 21:40:09 pm »
Do you think that your dinner could have got into her so quickly that she was awake from 3am? What did you eat earlier on in the day? x

Offline ~Jen~

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2015, 22:03:41 pm »
I am starting to think there are multiple issues going on... i just can't find a baseline and thT is making it feel impossible.  She was having some vomiting today, not a huge amount but enough for me to know something was really bothering her. I've never seen her  have that before and  she was very very fussy. I had rice cereal for breakfast before I realised about the rice from last night.  ::)

Such a good point about the timing of when foods end up in the BM. I've thought about and it would make it easier to pinpoint something if I could have a sense for when to look at my meals. I did have a late dinner last nifht around 9pm and then I fed her at 11pm and again at the 3am wake.

Earlier yesterday for breakfast, I had puffed rice cereal  oat milk, banana, some and for lunch a chicken/carrot/potato casserole and a small spinach salad. Rice cakes for snack. It was a LOT of rice yesterdAy!