Author Topic: 11 month old nw  (Read 1095 times)

Offline soulstar75

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:19:04 am »
Hello!

I would like to get some advice. My little one is 11 months now and still has night wakes. He wakes only once usually between 6 to 8 hours of sleep, but I would love for him to truly sleep through ythe night. For the most part he is able to go back to sleep quickly. Sometimes it can take up to 45 mins. He seems to be low on sleep needs. When we transitioned from 3 to 2 naps, it was very rare to have 2- 1.5 naps. Our day usually looks like this:

Wake 7am
Nap 1 - 10:30 to 11:15 (sometimes until 12 if we are out of the house)
Nap 2- 4 to 4:30 (if woke up at 12)
Bedtime is between 8:30 and 9

So our A times are 3.5 and 4 to 4:15 (tonight his last A time was 4:20)

Should I be extending his A times? I don't believe he is ready to go to one nap as of yet.

Thanks

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 11 month old nw
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:43:44 am »
Hun, his day is quite long- 14 hours. Best to keep your day to 12-12.5 max. Does he go to sleep independently at bedtime? Because again, that last A is enormous. If he handles such long As well, one nap might definitely be in the cards for you if you can push the first nap out later and go for an earlier bedtime for a while

Offline soulstar75

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 19:57:00 pm »
Thanks for your advice. I'm not quite sure what to do because he wakes pretty well rested and I follow his cues/a times to put him to bed. I guess I can try an earlier bedtime and see. Today his first A time was 4 hours and the one before his second nap was 4:15. For both naps, I tried to put him down 15 mins earlier and he wasn't having it.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 20:24:56 pm »
It's interesting because his A time is on the lower side of average - which I wouldn't expect for an LSN baby. Normally they have super long A times, and shorter naps, both. Average A for this age is 3 hr 30- 4 hr 30, so you can see what I mean :)

I'd start maybe by pushing that first nap a bit later, add 15 mins on to A time to start with and see how you go, stick with the new A time for three days or more to allow him time to adjust. With my two, if they had been taking a nap until 4.30 there's no way they would have gone for a 7pm BT, so I can see what's going on there.  I always had to ensure that they were awake by 3.30 in order to preserve BT at 7/7.30.

At the same time, I would add that one NW isn't that bad :) If everything else is going well for you, I'd be tempted to stick as is, for now, but know that it will probably need to change soon. I'd keep an eye on the nights he wakes and stays awake for longer, and see if there's any pattern from those days.  NWs are often a sign that routine needs a tweak.

It's not unusual when in the 2-1 transition that the day lengthens to 13 hours or so, but looks like you're hanging onto the naps maybe a bit too tightly :) and it could be time to change things a bit.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline soulstar75

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 03:31:00 am »
That's a lot clearer...thanks so much! Yup 1 night wake isn't too bad and its usually not for long. I will try pushing his first A time and see what results I get. We have a few transitions coming up ( weaning from bf and he will be in full time daycare) so I'm not sure if I should leave things as is or start some small changes now.  Would you suggest capping his total day time sleep? What is average for this age?

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
Re: 11 month old nw
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:50:30 am »
I don't think he is getting *too* much day sleep. DD is just a bit younger and she needs  2 - 2.5 hours totally for a 12 hour day. We are doing 4.15 A before both naps at the moment, and are well on our way towards 1 nap. So the new A you are going for sounds about right. We are also doing a long am, short pm routine but DD can only manage 2 hours tops after the catnap before getting very OT . That's why I still feel that the long A before bed is the cause. Do you know what the nap routine is at daycare? I believe they do one long mid morning nap? With the new A of 4/4.15, the am nap gets pushed to 11 - 11.15 and if it ends late enough (1.30 or after), you could go for a one nap day with an early bed time instead of CN.

Offline soulstar75

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:26:59 am »
Ok...that makes sense that his longA before bed may be the culprit. Since he usually does a 30 min nap in the afternoon, I will try to bring his bedtime earlier. The daycare actually doesn't impose a set schedule for naps until they are 18months which is why I'm unsure if I should try to extend now or just let daycare take over. They will be following his schedule for when they will put him down for naps. Thanks again for your help. I'm definitely going to try an earlier bedtime and see how he responds! Fingers crossed!!