Author Topic: 3 month old questions  (Read 1534 times)

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 06, 2015, 00:48:58 am »
My little one is turning 3 mos tomorrow.
She has all of a sudden become a very fussy eater.
She was a sleepy eater since she was born and recently became more awake which I really welcomed (even though it meant she pulled my breast to the sides so she could look around).
 More recently she started shortening her eating dramatically, to something like 15 minutes (from 25 on one side and 10 on another on average).
For the past week however she was very fussy at the breast in the morning and 10 am feeding. she does poo at both times admittedly. still, she always unlatches, pulls at eat, may start crying, beating at my breast. she doesn't eat too long, may by 9 min and then I squeeze another 5-7 min out of the feed. she can last three hours. I notice that she has a new kind of cry saying its a burp, but not always it is that....
 At first I thought my milk is reduced, but still I see sometimes she eats 20 - 25 minutes per breast and for her night feed she seems to get full. She has same number of dirty nappies and even more some days. No green, just mustard.
At night she eats every three hours even though she could do a bit longer occasionally before.
What can this be due to, I am extremely anxious although number of nappies keeps me hoping all is fine.

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 00:50:41 am »
I forgot to mention she is EBF. I try to keep three hour schedule, but adjust on demand to slightly more (if asleep) or less (if hungry).

Offline ele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 00:54:57 am »
and very sorry one more, I also thought it was a slow let down (first within one two minutes from start, second may be after 15 min and she kind of slows at 9 min)
but she also gags at every feeding for the past month (thereabout), which would say fast letdown.
sorry may be too much info, but I really want to nail this problem down

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: 3 month old questions
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 02:53:17 am »
It's fairly typical for babies to become more distracted with their eating as they become more aware of their surroundings.  At the same age, I had to feed DS in his room with the curtains drawn.  If we had company over, I usually pumped ahead of time and just fed him via bottle because it was easier to get it into him.  He did grow out of it within a month or so, I believe but yes, your nipples take a beating during that time!  For what it's worth, DS2 finishes a feed in 7 mins, as did his brother.  If he takes longer, usually at the bed time feed, I know he's doing it just for comfort and I totally allow that.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: 3 month old questions
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 21:44:35 pm »
Also do you follow wonder weeks? Week 12 is a big one and considers with a growth spurt. My DS recently went through the same. She never eats more than 15 mins unless she is falling asleep and really just comfort sucking. For us it lasted from 12-14wks and now she is coming out the other side.

How does she fall asleep? Indeoendently or does she have any props like feeding, rocking etc.? Just wondering if some of the NFs are because she needs help getting back to sleep.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011