Author Topic: 20mo only averaging 9 hours sleep a night - phase or take action?  (Read 3383 times)

Offline KatyBee

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 20mo only averaging 9 hours sleep a night - phase or take action?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 12:36:16 pm »
Was last nights NW, screaming etc, typical? Or could it be teething or the language leap?

No, not typical actually. Previously he has been fairly chatty and just awake, last night we encountered serious frustration, which is rare! The reason I believed it was more of a scheduling issue was that he fought bedtime last night which he hadn't done the previous couple of nights and it felt like it was because he was getting caught up on the OT as opposed to because he was suffering OT, hence my conclusion this may be an UT issue from the long naps, as this has proved an issue in the past.

He was definitely too hot in his sleeping bag when he woke up - so I guess that was the cause of the NW initially and could explain the frustration if he didn't like being woken that way..... and as stripping him off and giving meds made no difference, I think he then got frustrated that he couldn't get back to sleep. Who knows though, could have been more developmental or a mixture of things?

Unfortunately the long nap plan may have a spanner in the works - I just tried to put him down to nap in the cot and he got upset & climbed out - I caught him just before he fell. The only way I can get him to nap on a mattress is by feeding him to sleep though - I tried to just settle him on it without feeding and he either thinks its a big game or gets very upset/angry and demands milk. If I hadn't finally given in just now, he would not have gone to sleep (I know this as this is how we ended up on no nap days previously!) but he doesn't nap for as long when fed to sleep so we'll be back to where we were last week.

If this is a permanent issue now he realises he can get out of the cot, then we may be stuck with the shorter naps anyway!

I'm sorry to say buy I'm also glad we are not alone cause I was thinking I'm going crazy..............How does your Easy look now with a long nap?

I know what you mean AMJ - is so good to know that we are not alone and that this is just another version of 'normal' behaviour, it can feel pretty lonesome when i'm surrounded by Mums whose babies have only had small blips for regressions or just sleep brilliantly.

I was hoping to be able to follow this EASY:

w/u 6-6:30am

Nap 12-2pm

BT 8pm

But that has already gone to pot today due to his NWs which has pushed everything out and also having to feed him to sleep, which means the nap wont be as long. We'll see though! Maybe he will be used to the 2 hours now and surprise me! :)

What is your EASY like? Your little one is a bit older than mine I think?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:39:17 pm by KatyBee »

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 13:06:56 pm »
Before December we were doing set nap at 12:30/45 for 2/2+hrs then BT at 8/7:30. Then everything went down hill so we've been trying multiple things but for the past 3 days I'm doing nap at 12:15ish(laid in the crib at 12) and then wake at 2 and BT 7:30 ish. Last night she was up for 1 hr from 11:50-12:50 and today was up at 6:00 wich is a miracle for us but I'm not sure if it's because of a NWU. Lately she was up anywhere between 4:40-5am. I'm gonna stick with this for a week and go from there. Everything usually goes downhill for us after a few days
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 13:08:30 pm by AMJ »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 17:47:49 pm »
Sounds like you might need to make the move to BBB. I know you don't really want any further disturbances at this point but there's one good thing about sleep being off track and that is it is unlikely to get any worse. I'd grab the bull by the horns now and make the BBB move whilst things are off, you won't want to if his routine starts running smoothly as you'll likely be scared to mess it all up.

As for feeding to sleep - depends how you feel about it but IMO it really doesn't matter at this point. that nap isn't going to be there for ever, when the nap goes so does the feed to sleep. It's not like you are setting yourself up for a 2yr prop yk?  It will not effect his ability to self settle at night.

How about go for later BT. I'd go as late as 9pm with his type of sleep needs.