Author Topic: Constipation - would probiotics help?  (Read 1432 times)

Offline svitmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 13, 2015, 19:48:08 pm »
Hi,
My daughter is almost 8 months old and I've been struggling with introducing solids to her. It seems like she is not really interested in solid foods. Nevertheless I've beed managing to feed her a few tea spoons a day, mostly apple and sweet potato purees. And now she is constipated. She hasn't gone #2 for 5 days, only very small amounts. But she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. I will be giving her some prunes, I've read they might help. But I also wonder, if giving her probiotics whould be beneficial? I used to give them to her till 3 months old, they helped with collics. But would they actually help with constipation too?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 20:14:51 pm by svitmama »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Constipation - would probiotics help?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 22:23:49 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW :)

I think many LOs go through changes in BMs when they start solids, they do need to work harder to get the poo out.
A couple of things, are you making sure she is able to drink as much water as she needs at meal times?
Also it may be worth changing up the foods you are feeding. I know my DS would have become very constipated if he'd had carrot every day and I'm wondering if sweet potato may be having a similar effect  :-\

This link has some useful info.
Constipation and Laxative Foods

I was able to naturally manage my DS's poo by offering more carrot if he was a bit loose and more prunes if he was a bit too firm. Parents seem forever focused on the state of baby's poo but it really can help to avoid the constipation if you treat quickly.
The soft ready to eat prunes went down well here, my DS loved them. Canned prunes in juice (not syrup) are even softer, I found them to be super strength and in fact I can't really give him those. 1 or 2 and he doesn’t stop pooing.

If you don't see some change in a day or two though I would head to the doctor to get some additional help, you don't want it to go on too long.

Sorry I am unable to help specifically WRT the probiotics but I'll check back to see if you get any more replies. If not I'll find out for you.
Hope this helps

Offline svitmama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 16:13:44 pm »
Yes, she's been drinking extra fluids. I stopped giving all solid foods, and going to see my doctor tomorrow. Thank you for your reply though!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 17:42:51 pm »
OK. Let us know how things go, I can ask the other mods to cast an eye over if you need :)