Author Topic: Child with delayed allergy symptoms?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Frankys Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:23:04 am »
Hi, has anyone had experience with delayed allergy symptoms (that take 24-48hrs to appear) and the process of identifying a trigger?

I don't know for sure whether a specific allergy is an issue for my son (3.5yrs) but suspect it may be. He gets asthma and hayfevery type symptoms (swollen eyes, itchy nose etc) and big itchy hive-like spots that stick around for a few days. Milder symptoms come and go regularly but it will suddenly flare up. He doesn't seem to have any immediate obvious reactions to food or environmental allergens so it's difficult trying to pin down a trigger. Are skin prick tests accurate for delayed allergy symptoms?

I appreciate any input or experiences :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Child with delayed allergy symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 13:16:05 pm »
What about temperature? My oldest DD has cold urticaria so she gets hives fr cold weather, wind, cold water etc. There is also different forms of urticaria caused by heat, exercise and of course some that have unknown triggers. A scratch test without knowing what for would be a tough one, our allergist wont test unless we have a good idea what it was that caused a rxn.
Heidi

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 17:38:37 pm »
Wha about a food sensitivities test like this one?  http://rmalab.com/medical-laboratory-tests/allergy/igg-sensitivity

It rates reactions on a scale (0= no sensitivity, up to 6 I think which is high sensitivity). We had it done on DD when she was younger as she was getting eczema-like patches. Turned out she is intolerant to cranberries and they were causing it.

Offline Frankys Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 11:35:10 am »
Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure there's some dust mite/pollen allergy there but also something else... the last time he flared up the doctor said it sounds like something he's eating is causing it (basically he had a super sore bleeding bum rash at the same time as the other symptoms). He's really picky though so doesn't eat many of the common triggers. My only query is dairy. He doesn't have much, only cheese and in baking (mainly due to pickiness!) and I can't have any dairy so he never got it through breastfeeding. Can these types of symptoms be dairy related though or are they usually more gastrointestinal? It's so confusing...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 17:47:21 pm »
This isn't exactly what you asked but I read the part about the sore bleeding bum rash - DS got this with orange foods so carrots and sweet potato, tomato etc. It was exactly where his poo touched him, the exact place no where else. And it happened in seconds, we always changed his nappy the second he finished pushing and would be too late.  Could it be something like that?? Could there be residue from bum wiping after poo which need thoroughly washing off to reduce the contact exposure?