Author Topic: Time for a New Pump?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Time for a New Pump?
« on: April 30, 2015, 14:25:44 pm »
I'm mostly nursing, however, I like to have extra milk for when I have to work or am away from H. I've been pumping after my morning feed for a while now. I know that after the first few weeks, the excess milk production slows down. But it seems like I'm not getting as much as I should/used to. I've done lots of reading and it seems like double pumping is the best for most women. However, I seem to do way better when I pump on one side at a time. I fear that maybe my pump is dying even though it sounds like it is working fine. I've had it since M was born (so over 4 years now), its the Medela double electric pump.

Last night H STTN (yippee!) from 8-6. She had been waking around 3-4 for a feed for a while, so I felt very full this morning. I pumped around 5am to get some relief. After 15 minutes of double pumping I barely had anything. I switched to single pumping and was able to get 3 ounces from my right side.

Would you think it's time for a new pump? Or is there something I can do to "revamp" my current pump since they are so pricey?! Thank you!

Offline goldmom

• Showing Appreciation 23
Re: Time for a New Pump?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 15:54:56 pm »
Do you live in the USA and have health insurance? A new pump should be provided free for each new baby under law here now.

Pumps do wear out if you use it too much, but often there are some parts that need to be replaced cheaply before you have to replace the (expensive) motor. I don't have your pump, but I think there's a silicone valve that you can replace to help with suction.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 21:56:18 pm »
I do live in the US. Really, a pump is covered! That is AMAZING. I need to look into that.

Offline goldmom

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 23:17:27 pm »
Hope it works out for you. It's been law since 2013 I believe, and I've gotten 2 covered free  ;D. The first was right after they passed the law and it came with everything I'd ever need to double pump (including a backpack, cooler case, & 6 storage bottles), by the second they got smarter and it just came with the basics (no bag, cooler and only 2 bottles) - but it's a new motor and basic pump parts so really all you need to pump from home.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 01:45:57 am »
I called insurance because I just couldn't believe it! I'm so excited to get a new one for free. Thank you for the info! Hoping that helps with pumping.

Offline goldmom

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 13:16:15 pm »
Yay! One less thing for a busy Mom to worry about  :)