Author Topic: Having twins! Don't know where to start.  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
Having twins! Don't know where to start.
« on: May 04, 2015, 14:48:17 pm »
I need help!

Everyone says to keep a schedule which I think is a good idea, but I have other kids.

Ds1 is 8 and ds2 is 3. The school year starts this week and they both go to school. I will have to be up by 6am getting them ready so I will need to work the schedule around that.

Help!

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Having twins! Don't know where to start.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 18:46:16 pm »
Hi Hun and congratulations!  I'm going to ask one of our twin mummies to pop in for you, but in the meantime could you let us know what your commitments are with school runs etc?  I'm imagining lots of 'go with the flow' at least to begin with but hopefully we can help you to work towards a routine that suits all of you as they get a little older xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 19:29:01 pm »
I have no experience with twins but wanted to make a few suggestions that help me get my three out the door on time and point you in the direction of this FAQ On having Twinfants

Firstly,  get your DH involved!  We have managed to work it so that my DH goes in to work a bit later (9.15am start) so that he can be with me and the kids until 8.30. He gets up at 6.45 to shower and get himself ready then the boys get up at 7.10 (sometimes they wake earlier) and i take them down to start breakfast.  Sometimes the baby is up but sometimes she has gone back to sleep after a 5-6am feed. When my DH comes down about 7.30 he takes over getting the boys washed and dressed while i shower and get myself ready. Then i just have to get DD fed and changed before DH leaves and all that is left to do is get shoes, coats and bags on to be out the door for 8.35am. DH also often has time to check over homework or reading with DS1.

Even if your DH can't be around so much i would look at what he can do and make sure he isn't just getting up in time to get himself ready and leaving all the rest to you.  This does mean my DH doesn't get home until 7pm (BT) most nights but i find BT easier than mornings to do alone and sometimes my mum helps me then if she is free.

I also find getting the boys to do as much as possible like getting themselves dressed (while dh oversees and eats breakfast), brushing their teeth and putting on shoes and coats so we dont have to physically do it helps.  Your boys may even be able to make their own breakfast for example. I also sort out all clothes and bags the night before.

I always plan my DD's routine around the school runs even if it means waking her early. That way I don't end up with her waking just as we are walking out the house when I won't  be able to feed her for 45 mins or she ends up crying the entire way.

IME it is no good relying on a timed schedule that you try to make the same every day as babies rarely oblige with the same length naps or feeds and things change so quickly at this age that as soon as i think we've settled into a predictable routine she changes everything up. Sometimes she sleeps on the school run, sometimes not so i have to be flexible.

Accept as much help as you can. Don't be polite and lose out. You snooze,  you lose as my DS2 says.  If you can get DH or your mum to have time off to help you after the birth. If mums at your boys' school offer to do pick up or drop off for you or say they will have your boys over for tea, let them. I have had mums say to me if i dont want to disturb my LO from a sleep at pick up time i should text them and they will take my DS home to their place so i can pick him up later and such. People really are happy to help.

If friends and neighbours ask what they can do to help don't be afraid to ask them to make you a meal or pick you up some groceries or whatever. I also find it invaluable when people offer to have my youngest so my DD can get a nap in quiet and I can rest or get stuff done while DS1 is at school.

So excited for you but I'm sure they will keep you on your toes.  Don't forget to enjoy it though!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:30:10 am »
Hi Diana! Congratulations! When are you due?
Excellent advice from Ali, I agree definitely get your dh involved and if your mum can be around to help even better. In the initial months dh was mainly responsible for getting ds ready, as in providing breakfast, making sure he's moving along etc, now that things are less manic we can both be involved. But for sure like Ali he said he needs to think ahead and think bigger than just getting himself ready, my experience is that this isn't a given with men so you need to spell it out but once I did my dh was fully on board.
If you can get a morning routine with the older 2 going well before the babies come that'll help. Your 8 yr old should be ok, would he be able to help ghe 3yr old get dressed etc? Have some easy breakfast options, all clothes, bags etc ready from the evening before etc.
I won't lie, the first weeks and months are truly hard, but you will find a rhythm eventually. Initially though, get all the help you can, don't even think of trying to be on top of everything yourself. Xxxx

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:55:46 am »
She's delivering today Kayra!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline kayra

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • 2 for 1!!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 13:15:01 pm »
Oh wow!!! Thanks Ali!

Hope alls well Diana xx

Our angel Victor 06.11.10  We miss you, but look forward to the day we will see you again my love 1Cor. 15
Angel, April 2011