Author Topic: I don't know where to begin (13 wks old)!!  (Read 957 times)

Offline Lumukanda

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I don't know where to begin (13 wks old)!!
« on: May 26, 2015, 00:46:38 am »
This is my third baby that I've done EASY with, so you would think I would have some instinct to go on by now ... but I don't! Could anyone please help me? We are in the midst of a move, and are having issues with my older two as well (they are 3yo), so I am having trouble mustering the brain power needed to help my sweet 13 wk old!

Before I get into her troubles, I'll post what I am attempting her 3.5/4 hr EASY to look like (this is on a good day):

7am - WU/E
8:30am - sleep
10:30am - WU/E
12:00 - sleep
2:30pm - WU/E
5:00pm - sleep
6:00pm -WU/E
8:30pm - E
9:15pm - sleep
10:30pm - DF/sleep.

She sleeps after her DF until about 6:30am on about half of the nights. The other nights, she will wake around 5:00am to eat, or she will be awake for several hours during the night fussing (and we eventually feed her, not knowing what else to do).

She used to sleep almost all morning and early afternoon (despite my best efforts). It was extremely difficult to get her to 1.5hr awake times. Suddenly this week, her naps are only about 30 minutes long, maybe 45 mins, or sometimes an hour. Occasionally I can help her fall back to sleep by replacing a paci, but it's becoming more and more of an issue (i.e. she then loses the paci again within a few minutes, needs another replacement, etc.). Yet at times, she will lose the paci but fall right back asleep.

Also, our nighttime routine is probably not a great one - we keep her up with us (as we eat, watch a little TV, or chat) and let her fall asleep in our arms. Then we place her down next to us on the couch, etc. until it's time to put her to bed after her dreamfeed at 10:30. She does not have her own room (we're in the process of moving so that she will), so she sleeps with us - hence this AP!

Questions: should I consider ditching the paci? How do I get her to fall asleep earlier at night so that she can get more nighttime sleep? She is a petite baby and not a very hungry one - she seldom wakes for a bottle and never cries for one when she awakes. Do I let her sleep if she's sleeping past her E time? I feel so very confused, and am nervous to create bad habits - but don't know quite where to begin!

Thank you so much for any insights you might have!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: I don't know where to begin (13 wks old)!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:23:28 am »
Hi :)

What time does she typically fall asleep at night? You're just at the start of the month of her life in which her A time will change most, so let's get you sorted so you're able to move through it with least discomfort. Basically between 13 weeks and 4 months, "typical" A times go from 1.5hr to 2hr, so from:
7 - wake, E
8:30 - S
10 - E
11:30 - S
1 - E
2:30 - S
4 - E
5:30 - CN
6 - E
6:45 - BT feed
7 - asleep for the night (expect a couple of night feeds)
10 - DF if you choose

to:
7 - wake, E
9 - S
10:30 - E
12:30 - S
2 - E
4 - S
5:30 - E
6:30/6:45 BT feed
7 - asleep for the night (expect a couple of night feeds)
10 - DF if you choose

In general, the easiest way to get from one routine to the other as seamlessly as possible is to have a 'typical' A time in mind, clock watch to get to ~10min before A time is up and watch LO for cues. Sleep cues are so variable that I found I needed a window to watch for them or I'd interpret everything as a sleep cue or nothing as a sleep cue and get into a right mess.

Can you please provide a little detail about birth & feeding - was she premmie, presume from your post that she's bottle fed formula, any current medical issues?
Is there anything stopping you putting her in your room in a bassinet or something to sleep while you are up still in the evening?
I reckon chances are with the long A time in the afternoon (2.5hr is a LONG time for a 13wo) she is really OT by the evening and struggles to get to sleep. TV may be too stimulating to really allow her to get to sleep in the evening too. 
Ditching the paci - your call, really. This is the age to do it if you're going to do it. By 7-8 months, I think, most babies can replug themselves and it becomes a comfort item rather than a prop but then you also have teeth and mouth development to think of and is much harder to take a dummy from an attached 2yo that a 13wo.

Naps - length variations suggest she's UT and OT at various times, maybe just waking up out of that sleepy newborn phase. Do you have detail of when the naps were short/resettled, etc. in the last few days?

Let her sleep past E time - yes, unless she's taking insufficient milk, producing insufficient wet nappies or was premmie (in which case I defer to your paed), its fine to let her sleep, though I would say not more than 2hr for naps in the day or you can end up with day and night reversing or shifting which I think is likely what you had with her sleeping most of the morning given BT is so late. For night feeds, unless there is a medical reason to do so, only feed when LO wakes or you can create habits you don't really want.

Don't worry too much about bad habits in terms of props at this age, get through your move - that's enough big change and upheaval for your family I'm sure without taking on much sleep training or prop breaking at this point. Providing you've got a solid routine in place, I think ~5 months is the easiest age to sleep train.

Offline Lumukanda

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:44 am »
Thank you so much for your insightful reply!! I will be taking all of your suggestions very much to heart!!

First off: no, she was not a preemie but a bit on the small side. Has no known health issues, but her older sister has growth and feeding issues, so i'm a bit of the nervous type! Her size now is about the 8%. As far as feeding, she is drinking breastmilk from a bottle. And yes, she could/can sleep in the bassinet in our room (and does overnight), but she has lots of trouble falling asleep for the night if she's in it. That is my hope/goal for her, however; I would like her to fall asleep at a reasonable hour in her own bed.

After your reply, I put her down for bed a bit earlier (she often falls asleep around 9:15pm, but it's in our arms or next to us). She is very OT I am sure. Did the nighttime routine, swaddle, etc. but she sucks on her paci and wakes up about every five minutes or so. I've been doing Shh/Pat (for the first time with this child) and am hoping for the best! Is this a good plan for now?

I'm planning to implement the new schedule (as per your suggestions) in the morning. If/when she wakes up quickly after her nap, what would be the best way to try to help her resettle? She's not yet predictable enough to try to W2S at this point. I will also collect more "data" on her times tomorrow. :) Typically I try to put a paci in once or twice, but if she won't settle within a few minutes, I cut the nap short. Until recently (the past two weeks or so), she was able to quietly fuss for about 5-10 minutes and then would fall back asleep. Not anymore, unfortunately!

Thank you and/or anyone else for the advice. It is so very appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:12:19 am by Lumukanda »

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 09:15:37 am »
Is she pretty much following that centile or dropping down?

Waking every 5min is unusual - is this only at BT? Maybe see if this gets any better once she's a bit more used to going to bed at 7. I wonder if it could be discomfort :-/

WRT resettling, have you tried hold through the jolts?

How much milk is she taking per feed?

I think your plan to work with shush/pat on naps and BT in the bassinet is a good one. TBH, at this age, its ok to have the night and maybe one nap in the bassinet and the rest can be on the move if required so you can continue to keep the older LO's active.

I can't shed much light on the nap length situation without that data, sorry. Lets see how the next few days go.

Offline Lumukanda

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 14:53:30 pm »
Hi again - you're so kind to help me out!! Thank you!! My baby has been holding her percentile, and she takes about 4oz. of breastmilk per feeding.

However, she woke up this morning with a terrible cold! I'm thinking this would explain the constant (every 5 min.) waking last night. Since she's unwell, I think I will plan to wait to post her schedule until she's on the mend so it's a more accurate sampling.

Will check back in a few days - thank you endlessly for your support!!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 15:01:01 pm »
We found the 5AM waking problematic as well. This is how it worked for us: How Tracy Helped Josie and her Family Get Past 45-Min. Naps!