Author Topic: Do I need a transition phase for 3hr EASY to 4hr EASY?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline CeyAM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Do I need a transition phase for 3hr EASY to 4hr EASY?
« on: May 27, 2015, 16:56:17 pm »
Hello all,
I would like to transition my 3.5 old boy from 3hr EASY to 4hr EASY routine. Do I have to follow the 5 min interval transition plan? I was just thinking one  morning when he gets up, I will try to follow the 4hr routine as much as possible. I understand that it may get shifted the first few days since it may be hard for him to stay awake for 2hrs or then try to keep asleep for 2hrs for naps.
Some side info: he eats 4 oz feedings (which I hope to increase to 5 or 6 oz with less number of feedings). He sleeps from 7pm to 2am (with a dreamfeed at 10:30-11pm), and then wakes up at 6am. We start the routine at 6am. He does not nap well during the day. He sleep well for the frist 45 min to 1hr, but last 30 min is always very difficult.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Do I need a transition phase for 3hr EASY to 4hr EASY?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 17:19:35 pm »
How old is he now Hon? Can you please paste you routine in a way:
WU ie 6am
E 6:15 4oz
A
S 8:00-9:30
E 9:30 3oz
Etc?

Thanks!
~Marta

Offline CeyAM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 17:48:08 pm »
He is 3.5 months old.

E 6am 4 oz
A 6:30am
S 7:30am

E 9am 4 oz
A 9:30am
S 10:30am

E 12pm 4 oz
A 12:30pm
S 1:30pm

E 3pm 4 oz
A 3:30pm
S 4pm

E 5pm 3-4 oz

Bath 6pm
E 6:30pm 3-4 oz
S 7pm

10:30-11pm Dreamfeed 3-4 oz
2am 3-4oz

Thanks!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:23:13 am »
Hi there - welcome to BW forums :)
Here's a couple of links you might find helpful:
Time to Transition - 3hr, 3.5hr or 4hr EASY
Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!

I would like to transition my 3.5 old boy from 3hr EASY to 4hr EASY routine. Do I have to follow the 5 min interval transition plan?
No, you do not need to move in 5 min increments, some people find this easier if their baby is particularly sensitive to increasing A times but some do not respond well to only a 5 min increase.

It's not so easy to see from your EASY times how long he is sleeping for each nap but if the naps are shorter than 1.5hrs, and if he is an independent sleeper (usually able to fall to sleep without help and usually able to transition between sleep cycles without help) then an increased A time may help to extend the naps or will help you to re-settle him more easily as he'll be that bit more tired.

I would suggest increasing the A by 15 mins (to 1hr 45) in the first instance, and move E towards a 3.5hr interval.
During the transition phase you may need to help him re-settle during the nap, either because he becomes a little OT and wakes after a short nap, or because he needs to be taught the habit of sleeping longer (ie to transition rather than get up when he wakes).
After a few days, if you feel he is ready to go to a full 4hr EASY routine you would increase the A time by another 15 mins.  Not all LOs go straight to the 4hr EASY and may stay on 3.5hr for a while.  You can always post for advice if you are not sure.

Does that help at all?

Have you already tried the transition?