Author Topic: Structuring feeds at 9 months  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Amcivor

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 31, 2015, 07:13:05 am »
Hi, my lg is currently having 3 day feeds and 3 meals. However she is also still needing a NF and I'm not sure how I can fit the extra milk into our day or whether this is normal at this age to still need a feed in the early hours. So our routine is:

7 WU (can be 6.30-7) and bf usually both sides despite NF
8 breakfast cereal and fruit
10/10.30 nap for up to 1.5 hours
11.45/12 lunch e.g. Chicken casserole, veg, bread (shortly after waking)
2/2.30 milk 5 oz now has bottle as I'm back at work
2.30/3 nap (cap this depending on morning nap so DTS is 2.5 hours)
5 dinner e.g. Lasagne, veg and yogurt or rice pudding
7 milk bf both sides
7.30 bed

NF usually between 4-5 bf one side, still hungry at 7

I used to give milk at 11 and 2.30ish but she wasn't that interested at 11 and then was only having another snacky feed in the afternoon so we dropped the 11 milk on advice of our health visitor (she's now usually sleeping then anyway) brought lunch forward and now she has a bigger 2.30 feed. We stopped DF about 6 weeks ago as it was waking her and disrupting her sleep and 2 nights running she refused to drink any milk at all. Does this look about right or does it need tweaking? Thank you

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Structuring feeds at 9 months
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 09:28:28 am »
Well it can be normal to have a NF at this age but it would also be more common to be having more day time feeds. She probably needs at least 20 oz of breast milk and is unlikely to get that from 3 feeds unless you have a very high supply and she is taking exceptionally big feeds.
A usual routine for this age would be to give milk after each nap and at morning and bt. So I would offer milk when she wakes up before lunch and maybe do that a little later. Or just let her eat less solid food at lunch. Milk is her main source of nutrition until 12mo. Then I would offer the next milk feed after her afternoon nap before dinner. She has a long A time before bed so you have plenty of time to fit in milk, dinner, milk.

Or you could stick with the NF but I think she does likely need the 4 feeds.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011