Author Topic: Increasing feeding frequency  (Read 1994 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Increasing feeding frequency
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:35:14 pm »
Sigh. I have a funny feeling I have seen much of this before with DS1, but I can't quite remember how we fixed it. I do remember getting super stressed by it though (which I am not going to do this time  ;)).

DS2 is bottle fed, but was NG fed for 2 weeks after birth. He has well medicated reflux - in that he feeds nicely and sleeps well enough. He still spits up A LOT. Still takes in a fair bit of wind as well. Its actually about 10 weeks since I had him weighed but I assume he is gaining OK. Thomas can still be spitting up 2-3-4hrs after a feed  ::). As he has got bigger and more upright his tummy ache seems to have got less but the volume of puke has gone up.

He seems to have a very definite STOP at 5/6oz. He really can't take anymore than that without puking it all back and being very unsettled. He is on nutramigen, which is thin and apparently they can feed more frequently on it due to it being more broken down.

Basically he is feeding every 3-4hrs 24hrs a day. At one point he was doing better than that, but I guess he got hungry again  ::). Not much interest in solids yet. Even if I offer 3 hrs after a bottle he will often still be puking milk and I assume that gives him little desire for more in his tummy.

Any ideas how to move past this?? I am toying with the idea of trying a cows milk based reflux formula to challenge the intolerance, and if he is OK hopefully keep the milk in his tummy. He can't tolerate gaviscon or carobel in the nutramigen due to constipation.

I'll get him weighed next week.

I know things will slowly improve, and babies do grow quickly. I return to work in Sept and would like to not have to face a reflux/ solids aversion/ sleep deprivation nightmare!!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Increasing feeding frequency
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 13:21:34 pm »
No idea really Liz - how much is he taking in 24 hours now?

I guess you could try the reflux formula - the only thing is if carobel constipates him would reflux formula do the same thing?

Laura

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 13:33:17 pm »
Hi liz. I would definitely try enfamil ar milk. It worked wonders for dd1. Caribe made her constipated but this milk is not thick.  It thickens when it reaches the tummy and dd1 was like a new girl instantly on it.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 21:26:36 pm »
Would you just try switching the milk or try a dairy trial with some yoghurt first??

I know there is no right answer - just wondered what you would do  ;).

Do you need a fast teat for enfamil?

Yes - the risk is going to be constipation or dairy reaction. But I just can't help wondering if it's worth a go yk?

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 22:08:54 pm »
Personally I would try the milk first. I've raved to so many people about it. You don't need a fast flow teat it's as thin as normal formula so just whatever your using now is fine.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 07:47:07 am »
We needed a fast flow teat I found it thicker than normal formula and it will be thicker than the one he is on now. We used the avent vari flow.

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:14:43 am »
He's only on a size 2, and probably due an increase anyway really. Given nutramigen is super thin compared to normal formula it probably will need a proper size given he's a pretty big boy now.

I have some 3's and X flows anyway  :).

Offline Lolly

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:59:28 am »
How's it going Liz - have you changed the milk yet?

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 19:57:48 pm »
No. I saw the HV and she said to leave him on it as he is gaining well and doing OK. He cried a few times lay flat and puked on lifting just to prove he is a real reflux babe  ;) ;D. Said to start him on BLW, but allow him to be exposed to cooked/ trace dairy first via his diet. Said once we are happy he is OK like that to move to using cheese, and then yoghurts, and at that point switch the milk.

She said changing the milk risks making him really unsettled and delaying his solids even further. I can kind of see her point on that side.

I guess it won't hurt to give him a few weeks and see how it goes.

I might try changing his teat and see if he can do better on a 3. Less wind, less sick yk?! MAM are pretty fast though.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 20:36:35 pm »
Sounds like a plan.

I'm glad he proved the point for the HV though - I always used to feel like such a fraud with my happy, smiling, chubby babies when we saw anyone :P ;D

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 20:49:46 pm »
I know  ;D ;D. Jacob always did that  ::).

He did it to the GP the other week. That was funny. I lifted him after he had been checked over, and sat down, but jumped straight up for my cloth saying 'he'll throw up any second....', and he promptly did  ;D. GP was like 'wow - I guess he does that a lot then?'  ;) ;).

If he can do it to the consultant next week we will have a full house  ;).

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 08:18:11 am »
He threw up all over the clinic floor  ;D. And on me whilst talking.

Consultant said 3 week trial of nutramigen AA, just to see if that is the issue.

So I'm diluting him on.... 4oz AA and 2oz usual.... He's drinking it but looking suspicious  ;).

At this stage I'm ever pessimistic with reflux - but oh it would be so nice if he stopped puking all day. I'm pretty sick of it really. 5-10 times after every feed at 7 mths  >:( >:(.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 19:18:56 pm »
He really is a puke machine! Good job he's so cute!

My DD did less puking as the milk intake got less but she needed the meds to feel better enough to want to eat. It's a hard cycle to break.

Fingers crossed the formula change helps.

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 20:09:42 pm »
That is the cycle isn't it? It is the same cycle as Jacob got into really.

He was pretty proactive actually - so it is 3 week trial of AA - if it isn't a magic cure then onto nutramigen 2 (its the stuff for babies over 6 months - he would prefer him on that due to iron content). If still bad then double the omeprazole. He remembers Jacob needing high doses to settle and eat. I can do all that before his next appt  :). Hopefully within all that I can at least get him onto solids as that will help overall.

I do think he is a genius for doing it in front of the right people though - like you say - reflux babies are NEVER sick in front of their aped  ;D ;) ::).