Author Topic: 2.8 year old capping nap  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 2.8 year old capping nap
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 17:42:21 pm »
I does look developmental...the only thing I'd prob try is cutting nap a bit more and making BT earlier. Is he a happy bunny during the day? Are NW upset or just chatty?
I'll see if I can get some more eyes on this for u x
Zoe

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 18:07:54 pm »
I think BT is too late/day is too long.  What about having him in bed aiming for sleep between 8.30-9pm?  Any longer than a 13h day I think is probably asking for trouble.  I'd be tempted to try that first without any further nap cut as I would have thought he'd be OT with those NWs and short night.  If he really just won't settle any earlier then I would do as Zoe suggested and cut the nap shorter until you can get him in bed asleep for a maximum 13h day.  I'd also be tempted to bite the bullet now with getting out of the room, there's a risk those NWs are persisting because he's gotten used to you being there and can't settle properly without your presence.  What do you think?

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 18:43:39 pm »
Thanks!  I agree completely that his BT is too late but for like 3 weeks I tried moving it earlier but was ineffective. He would just toss and turn, play, etc until that 10:15 mark hit (ever since he was born he has never gone to sleep any earlier than 9). Even when he has had a NND he hasn't fallen asleep until 930-945ish. I'll try getting myself out...I guess maybe moving the chair closer and closer to the door?

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 19:00:40 pm »
If he's an independent sleeper at nap time I'd personally go straight to WIWO, but you know your own LO best.  Gradual withdrawal can also work, but tends to take longer - Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

How early did you try with EBT?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 19:29:15 pm »
I agree with trying to use wi/wo the GW might just encourage further interaction...but like Katherine says you know LO best.

I've found with my DS that often tossing turning and playing etc at BT is often OT and I've missed the nice calm sleepy time, when DS napped id aim to have asleep by 13 hours like suggested as any longer was just going into mania OT territory x
Zoe

Offline vanessa c

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 05:00:57 am »
Ok. I will try to adjust more. About 50% of the time (when I have to go in) the night wakings are upset. The other 50% of the time he just whines a little then puts himself back to sleep. They are never chatty and playful.

I will work on trying to keep him at a 13 hour day and beginning the WIWO. Thanks ladies for your help!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 05:22:13 am »
I would think NW are OT then, keep us posted Hun x
Zoe