Author Topic: 9.5 mo refusing feeds and biting me :(  (Read 1570 times)

Offline arabesque

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
9.5 mo refusing feeds and biting me :(
« on: June 21, 2015, 09:30:39 am »
Hi everyone,

BF has been going well until the last 48 hrs. DD started biting, then took it further and has started refusing feeds. Last night she fed one side for the DF, then bit the other. She woke within 3 hours and I assumed hunger. I went to feed, and she bit. So I put her back to bed. She mantra cried, then escalated, and I went and tried feeding again, she bit again. An hour and a half later she took one side. That was 2:45am.

We got up for the day at 7 and I offered a feed. She refused and cried until 8:45 when she reluctantly had a feed from one side (we are talking 1 min feed). Since then she's bitten me at every feed attempt, and will take maximum one side for 1 minute.

I am very susceptible to mastitis, and have already had it twice since she's been born (I had 4.5 months straight and 7 courses of antibiotics with DS1). And now I'm becoming scared of feeding her, because she is rough and her bites are so hard (4 teeth). Is it over? Should I offer some formula when she refuses to feed for so long but is obviously distressed about it?

Thanks,
Bec
DS1 July 2007; DS2 April 2010; DD September 2014

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 9.5 mo refusing feeds and biting me :(
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:47:52 am »
Hugs, it sounds like she could be teething?  Have you tried a dose of pain meds say 20-30 mins before a feed or something cold for her to bite on (frozen washcloth?) to soothe her gums and see if that helps?  Can you express if she's not feeding and offer some milk to sip in an open cup or on cereal if she won't drink it?  I would personally avoid formula, you want to be emptying your breasts if she's not feeding both to keep up your supply and to avoid mastitis.  I wouldn't think this is the end of breastfeeding, not if you don't want it to be.  Such a sudden change in behaviour says something else is up to me, hang in there if you can.  Have you got some Lansinoh or similar to put on your nipples if you are getting sore? 

Offline arabesque

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 10:53:17 am »

Maybe you are right. I'll try he pain meds and see how we go. Sometimes she's just looking at my breast and pushing it away, not even thinking about latching, but this can be 5, 6, 7 hours since a feed. I was wondering if I was getting my period back- but I honestly don't think she's reacting to a change in my milk as half the time she refuses to latch/suck in the first place.

Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions :)

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 12:17:45 pm »
No problem hopefully it's just a phase, I really hope it passes quickly x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 20:52:12 pm »
Is it any better?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline arabesque

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 09:36:43 am »
Thanks for checking in. Things went from bad to much worse!

After battling for a ay to get her to feed, she went on a feeding strike for 40 hours!! Let me tell you, that's up there with the hardest 40 hours after birth.

When she finally fed, it was when she was sleepy, and she's been feeding appro every 2-33 hours during the day since then :/...I cant seem to get back to 4-4.5 hourly feeding at all. My supply feels low, even though I expressed.

The dr had no clue why, and she was happy to drink expressed milk from a bottle, just not me :( It was such an emotionally and physically draining few days. We seem to be back on track now thankfully. There's hope for anyone whose baby stops feeding cold turkey!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 18:45:16 pm »
Glad to hear she is feeding again now.

Try not to worry about feeling intervals too much. She is much more efficient than a pump so may well want to get the supply up again. Maybe she has just missed it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011