Author Topic: Easy for 4.5 mo old...early waking  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Warz0013

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 16, 2015, 12:58:19 pm »
I finally have my 4 1/2 month old touchy/grumpy boy transition to a four hour schedule. He has always been one to want to wake up before 7 AM. Previously, when he would get up between 5:30 and 6 AM, but he would not want to be awake, eat, or sleep but rather just held and comforted until 7 AM. We transitioned to pick up put down, and have been doing that until 7 AM and of course he screams the entire time.

Now that we have him transitioned to a four hour schedule, he is still waking up between 5:30 and 6:30 AM, most commonly around 6 AM, but he's awake, happy and wants to play. I do not have any  problem with starting his day at 6 AM, feeding him and starting his 4 hour routine.  However, I fear that if we start his day and hour earlier, he goes to bed an hour earlier, then he'll get used to that and start waking up at 5 AM instead of 6 AM.

He typically wakes from his nap so somewhere between 45 to 60 minutes, needs to be picked up put down but will fall back asleep. His first morning nap, I end up having to wake him up from more often than not. Another option would be allowing him to sleep alittle longer on his first  morning nap to try and make up some of that time so that the rest of the day is it shifted earlier and entire hour.

E: 7, 11, 3, 7, dream feed @11p.
A: 7:45, 11:45, 3:45, 7:30 bath
S: 8:45, 1, 4:45-5 cat nap, sleep by 8-8:30.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Re: Easy for 4.5 mo old...early waking
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 14:10:50 pm »
Just sending hugs. Not sure I can be very much help. But I'm in the same boat with my 4.5 mo DD.

I know there is a sleep regression around 4 months, but we are massively struggling too. And the EW is hard as well, like you said, if BT ends up earlier then we end up with an even earlier WU.

Have you tried just laying your hand on him in the crib? With DD1, we never did PU/PD because it just didn't work for her. She is spirited.touchy and that was too stimulating and frustrating for her. Shh/pat was even too much, so I would just pat and then eventually just hold my hand on her back to help her settle. Though it does sound as if he is eventually settling with it.

Offline Warz0013

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 17:28:41 pm »
I feel like we've tried everything...lol.  But, yes, have tried just a hand. He screams. He wants to be held upright and snuggled.  He had very bad reflux around 1.5-2.5mo until we got his mess on board...so we did lots of upright holding as he was in genuine pain. I think we're still dealing with some of that lingering. 

He frankly sleeps well at night. For example, last night we did PU/PD from 7:45-8:45, finally asleep at around 8:45, dream feed at 11, and didn't wake until 6am.  So, I know in that regard I'm blessed and probably shouldn't be complaining. 

But, he daytime is a battle. All day. I think that's part of why he sleeps so well at night - as he screams much of the day trying to put him down.  He's happy for 30-45 min after eating then gets tired and doesn't know how to fall asleep. I'd say every other day or so we end up spending an entire nap session doing PU/PD...makes me question if I'm doing the right thing for him or not.

Offline theu.s.lees

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
Re: Easy for 4.5 mo old...early waking
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 19:46:10 pm »
I totally have been there. DD1 had bad reflux and spent the first few months sleeping in a swing or upright.

Is he going down well and just not napping a long time, or struggling to go down for a nap? Again, there is a 4 month regression. Not to just place blame on something outside our control (but that helps, me feel better often!) but that could have some effect. That's so great he's sleeping well at night. But I would consider adjusting his A time maybe. What kind of wind down are you doing? When are you starting it?

I know with DD2 I have to make sure that the last 20 minutes of her A time are calmer (i.e. sitting in my lap, or walking around with her facing out). She can't have the toys hanging above her or anything like that for extended periods of time or she gets overstimulated. Then we go into her room, change diaper, swaddle, and either read a book or sing calm songs. Then I will lay her down and start shh/pat. If my wind down isn't good enough it's a major battle. So sometimes I then have to just walk out of her room with her and take a lap or two slowly around the house to settle her down to start again.

Offline Warz0013

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:10:19 am »
 It's both. If I catch his sleep window perfectly, he'll go down fairly easy. But, if he gets overtired,then it's sometimes an hour plus long battle to get him to sleep.

He seems to have a 45 to 60 minute sleep cycle when he gets into a light phase of sleep, wakes himself/startles, and doesn't know how to get back down.

I don't quite have the balance figured out yet - I need to read him and go with what his body is telling me for when he needs to go to sleep, when he wants to wake up, etc  and trying to balance that with maintaining him with some sort of  routine/schedule despite what he wants to be doing at that time.

There are times were he seems to be awake and happy, but should be sleeping according to his routine and it's a battle to get him asleep. I don't know the balance with trying to listen to his body and just rolling with him enough schedule versus trying to fight with him back on schedule.