Author Topic: Weaning  (Read 1421 times)

Offline mommy189

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 19, 2015, 19:22:03 pm »
Hi.. I am wondering how do I go about weaning my 9.5 month old from nursing to sleep for her daytime naps. I am returning to work the beginning of September and I need to get this figured out.  I am wanting to still nurse her in the evenings and overnight.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 19:34:47 pm »
Can you post her routine please with feed and sleep times.

Are you replacing the daytime BFs with a bottle? Of EBM or formula? Has she tried either of those yet?

Is the only way she gets to sleep currently by BFing?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want more info so we can help you work out a plan.

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mommy189

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 11:00:21 am »
I am planning on giving her a bottle which she has had before with no issues, but she just hasen't had one lately. She will also take EBM and Formula (sometimes).  I am ok giving her what ever works for her. I would still like to nurse in the evenings and overnight if I could. I don't like the fact that I have to wean her before she is ready.  The only way she goes to sleep now is with me BFing her.

Our Routine can sometimes be messy.. She is not a good sleeper. On a good day...

Wake  730
Sleep  1030 sometimes
Wake  1130 sometimes
Sleep  330  sometimes
Wake  5-530 sometimes
Bed    800 and up every 2 hrs after 1230

If she skips her nap in the morning, she will go down around 1 and maybe sleep until 3. That will be her only nap that day and she then goes to bed 7 or 730.  She also just learned to crawl and starting to stand with her 2 bottom teeth breaking through. Poor girl got alot going on!

I know her sleeping is all over the place and has been she she was born.  I have tried everything to get her on a more structured schedule. She has 3 solid meals a day with snacks as well. I'm sure she will eat me out of house and home!  This is my first time BFing. My older girl now 6 was formula fed and on a schedule since she was 3 months and that was great because she and I new what to expect during our day. This LO is all over the place.

I would like to get this all figured out before she goes to her daytime sitter in September. I do not believe in letting her cry it out and that is what everyone is telling me to do. Am I wrong there?

She is a happy baby even when she dosen't sleep and that surprises me. She is obviously attached to me and I don't want her to struggle when I have to go back to work. It's hard enough as it is.

I hope this is enough information that you can give me a hand on where to begin this process.

Thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Weaning
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 21:17:30 pm »
You are right not to want her to cry it out. Here are lots of reasons why it really isn't a good idea.
Research on why 'cry it out' and 'controlled crying' is NOT recommended!

It sounds like she may be entering the 2-1. Check out this FAQ on ways to deal with it.
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Thre are a couple of options for you to use to stop the feed to sleep prop. Have a read of these FAQS and see which you prefer the sound of.
From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)
Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD) - Everything you ever needed to know!

Her routine doesn't look bad at all. Just the NWs because she is reliant on feeding to sleep I think.

I'd choose one feed a day to replace with a bottle of whatever you plan to feed her while at work and just get her used to it before adding in another one.

Let us know what you think.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011