Author Topic: Baby won't breastfeed upon wakening in morning  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Mummy81

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Baby won't breastfeed upon wakening in morning
« on: August 06, 2015, 08:10:49 am »
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but my 14 week old DS has started to refuse to feed upon wakening as part of the EASY routine. He is is fine the rest of the day, but in the morning he just wants to chat and try and get out his first morning poo. I can get him to feed for a minute or two, but he bobs on and off of the breast and doesn't really seem very interested in feeding. This happens when he had slept though the night and when he has woken for a feed. Because he isn't eating very much first thing, he wants to feed again around an hour later, making the routine EAEASY. When he feeds the second time he isn't eating loads then either. He will go down for his nap at 8:45/9:00 ok and sleep until around 10:00, when he will be happy to eat straight away.
Is there anything that anyone can suggest to encourage him to stick to EASY.

Offline Bella89

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Baby won't breastfeed upon wakening in morning
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:54:05 am »
Ha! I have a similar problem:/ My DS is 5 months and doesn't eat first thing in the morning either. He wakes up at 6:30 and doesn't want to eat at all. I figured when I wait till 8 he will take little or no BF. But he has regular 1,5 nap with his first easy.
My problem is caused I thing because he started waking at 5 to feed. When is your last night feed?
Me I will try to move that feed slowly to be his morning feed.
I figured if my DS can play for 3h and then sleep for 1,5 h he is simply not hungry and its fine. Your 1h nap is pretty decent I think for 14 weeks.
Can you write down your day with EASY for us?
Is your DS exclusively BF?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:18:16 am »
If he doesn't want to eat straight away you can wait a bit and try 30 or 60 mins after wu for example. Or EAEAS is fine as you are doing. Some people even as adults don't like to eat straight away in the morning.

Re the morning poo you might like to consider helping him get it out by sitting him on a little potty. That's what I do with my DD (and always have done) and she goes in the potty almost every morning. The position seems to really help her. It saves a nappy too!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Mummy81

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 14:28:24 pm »
Yes DS is exclusively BF. My easy schedule is as follows:

E-Wake up 6:30/7 and try to feed
A-7/7:30( depending on wake up) morning fun with daddy including time on play gym.
S-8/8:30

E:9:30
A:10am songs with mummy or time in bouncy chair
S:11:30

E:12:45/1pm
A:1:30
S:3pm normal sleeps for up to 40 mins

E: 3:45
A:4pm
S: 7pm/7:30

At night time he some times sleeps through the night but will sometimes wake up at 4:30/5. I try not to feed him if I can but just resettle him.

Re the morning poo, DS can't sit up own own so do u just hold them upright on the potty?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 14:40:46 pm »
Yes I just held her on the potty until she could sit up herself.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 20:13:38 pm »
My DD never BF in the am - she just wouldn't and ended up on an AES pattern. She dropped her morning bottle before nap or bedtime - it was the first to go!!

Even as a 5 year old girl she is a pest in the morning and eats very little before school. She isn't a morning person  ;) ::) ::).