Author Topic: Reassurance re 3-4 transition following p230 & NW/props  (Read 1089 times)

Offline mazza123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Reassurance re 3-4 transition following p230 & NW/props
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:53:41 am »
I've read a few posts and the links re this transition and it seems to be advised to either go with the 5 minute increments, which is not suitable for us, or the 15 minutes in the morning.
I started following Tracey's advice in TBWSAYP book, on page 230 where there's a 15 day schedule- we're up to days8-11.
Has this worked for anyone (I know tracey says it does but on here I can't see anyone who has successfully followed this!).

Also we continue to have NW- we only feed at the 10/10:30pm NW and the 2/3am NS and then at 7am, BUT we get lots of WUs- often the dummy is enough to resettle, sometimes PU and rock.
Should we move now to unswaddle him, should we stop using the dummy because it's becoming necessary?

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Reassurance re 3-4 transition following p230 & NW/props
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 21:07:20 pm »
Sorry you didn't get any replies yet. Giving you a bump, I'm sure you'll have responses soon.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 22:53:26 pm »
Hi :)

First off, how old is your LO?
What's his current routine (what is actually happening)?
Any medical issues eg. reflux/prematurity to consider?

WRT swaddle - that MUST go if LO is rolling for safety reasons but if it helps, its fine to keep otherwise.
WRT dummy - that's up to you. You can get rid of it and do shush/pat or some suitable variation or you can keep it, let him have it during the day and see if he can learn to replug it himself (not generally something LO can do til 7-8 months, I think).

Offline mazza123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:51:08 am »
Thanks Becj86!
He's nearly 5 month now- and only a few weeks ago he was all over the place partly because he was feeding 3 hourly but he was staying awake longer and not feeding well. Things are looking good, it's just that the sleep requirements Tracey has seem so specific, and variable (i.e. we start with a 2 hour nap then a few days later it goes back to 1.5 etc)- I just wanted some feedback that it worked, for reassurance that it is possible to make it work! We're onto the last specified block, which will mean we are nearly on the 4 hour EASY with 2x2hour sleeps plus a cat nap- I'm trying not to rush straight to that, given we've been working on the incremental changes over ten days!
He's not rolling himself yet, but we may transition him soon to be unswaddled & we'll see how we go with the dummy- he has better nights waking less frequently.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 23:02:48 pm »
The main thing Tracy said was to listen to your baby, that this is not a schedule but a routine - activities logically follow each other, there is a general timing to it but in the end, your baby is not a robot, he won't always sleep and wake on the hour.

Its quite possible the move to 4hr EASY will wok but if he's nearly 5 months, his ideal A time could be more like 2:15-2:30, average A times at 6 months are 2:45-3hr so you may have to increase further than you'd planned.

As your days become more age-appropriate, your nights should get better.