Author Topic: Any tips for 2.5yr old non-nappper who EWs when away from home?  (Read 926 times)

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
As the title says, really. My very LSN 2.5yr old always wakes at 5 / 5.30 when away from home. We're about to spend a lot of time away over the next 3 weeks so I'm after tips.  The first trip we're sharing a room - my husband and I, and both kids.  When he's EW'D away on holiday in the past I've left him to try and resettle until he's started crying.  If it's 6ish by this point I get him up but last time he was clearly still tired so I brought him into my bed so he could go back to sleep, which eventually worked.  Mainly I don't want my daughter to be woken at 5.30am too. So first question is - do you think I should just get him up when he cries, to avoid perpetuating the EW by bringing him into our bed whilst away?  I'm clinging onto the idea that after a few nights he might start sleeping better, and he's in his own room for our second trip so don't want to teach him that he sleeps in with us from 5am when he's away from home cos I get NO sleep that way.

Second question  - he can easily handle the occasional EW with a normal BT cos he's very LSN and handles OT well. However, 5 nights of only 9.5 - 10 hours sleep...? Not sure about that... I can see if EBT helps buy he'll only do 11hr nights max anyway, and if I let him nap more than 15 minutes for more than one day in a row, he EWs.  Last time we were away it delayed him getting back on track cos I let him nap on the way home. So any thoughts on that too? I'm thinking do a slightly EBT and if it doesn't work allow one day with a short nap and that's it? And sort it out when we get home... Any other ideas anyone?

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Any tips for 2.5yr old non-nappper who EWs when away from home?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 19:54:39 pm »
My dd1 often has shorter nights on holiday as it takes her longer to nod off in a new room and to stay asleep in the morning.  Usually after a few days though it gets better as she gets used to the new place.

Things that help a bit are a longer wind down/ more bedtime stories, and making sure she gets some quiet time before BT so she's not too OS. And lots of physical activity during the day (esp swimming!) to tire her out. Also having her stuffed toys with her.

To answer your 1st qn, IIWM and if you're all sharing a room and you resettle him and can't lie with him (is he in a cot?) then I think I'd prob bring him in to my bed too to avoid waking everyone up. You don't want to start your holiday days grumpily!

However, I'd also have a chat with him beforehand about how you'll be sharing a room and it's important that everyone gets enough sleep so he needs to try to be quiet in the morning while others are still sleeping.

Wrt your second qn I think I'd do the same, ie slightly EBT if needed and if several nights of low sleep then do a short catchup nap.  I think you prob just need to judge it from his mood.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 20:37:02 pm »
Fantastic, thank you, that's really helpful. Good idea about the wd and having a chat with him. We did that last night cos he's been very loud in the morning lately and waking lily up, and to my surprise he stayed absolutely silent this morning!  So I think he's capable of remembering things like that now.... Will give it a go, anyway  :)

Offline cath~

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 20:45:47 pm »
Hope you have a great time! :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:25:06 am »
My tip is for the first couple of days when he EWs, roll with it and stick to normal bedtime. LOTS of exercise during the day (like no car trips, walk everywhere if at all possible) and let him crash. That normally helps my DS.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 21:19:42 pm »
Ok, great, thanks.  He slept til 5.50 I think this morning which isn't bad actually and has walked LOADS today, plus had a few hours on the beach, so he really ought to be tired tonight.... Hopefully if he stirs in the early hours he'll roll over and go back to sleep  :)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:51:15 am »
Fx for you!

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 12:17:34 pm »
Hope it's going well x
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 18:51:15 pm »
It's alright actually - he's been sleeping til 5.50ish most mornings which is a lot better than he usually does when we're away and not far off normal if he's in a particularly low sleep phase. I think keeping him active is helping a lot. He is getting tired now though.... Only 2 nights to go for this trip though, so not far off fixing it at home :)

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• New life
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 19:38:37 pm »
That sounds like a success to me :)

Offline cath~

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:04:13 am »
Great news :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old