Author Topic: Inconsolable wakings after 5 minutes  (Read 823 times)

Offline Fishsupreme

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:44:42 am »
My baby is 7 months old, and until recently has been a great sleeper, to the point that we'd been lax on doing any sort of sleep training. He would generally fall asleep nursing (or with a bottle of pumped milk if Mom wasn't available) within 5-15 minutes, and take 1.5-2 hour naps, and sleep from 7:30pm to 6:30am either uninterrupted or with one brief (15-30min) night waking to eat. We knew there was probably a sleep association with eating, but it was always so effortless that we never felt much need to change it.

However, that changed about a week ago. He can now flip over back to front, so we can't swaddle him anymore (which we always did in the past.) When he wakes up, he immediately flips over; we always find him in a crawling position (though he can't actually crawl yet.)

It's still easy to get him to sleep. However, he wakes between 5-10 minutes after being put down, and he wakes up screaming and impossible to settle. Putting a hand on him, talking to him, picking him up, rocking him, etc. have no effect even after 10 minutes or more. Nothing seems to work except a.) nursing, or b.) getting him up completely, i.e. lights on and out of the room. He's still easy to put back down, but the cycle repeats.

When he finally does stay down, after about 2 hours of this, he sleeps in 2-3 hour chunks of the night, with similar inconsolable wakings in between, nothing like his previous night wakings, and is up for the day at 6:30 (so only getting about 8.5 hours of sleep at night, down from about 11.)

I find tons of advice on getting a baby to sleep, but I don't know what to do about one that goes to sleep easily but only stays that way for 5 minutes! Any suggestions? I'm not sure how the PU/PD method talked about so much here can be applied when picking him up doesn't calm him at all.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:49:12 am by Fishsupreme »

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Inconsolable wakings after 5 minutes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 00:53:54 am »
Wow! Sounds like a great sleeper and maybe you have hit teeth, developmental chaos or need a routine change. Would you mind to post what a typical day looks like to see if any changes need to be made?

Maryn

[/url]

Offline Fishsupreme

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:05 am »
Typical day before this started:

Wake 7:30 am
Nap 9:00-11:00
Nap 1:00-2:30
Nap 4:00-5:00
Bedtime 7:30 pm

It's difficult to specify eating times because he nurses basically whenever he wants.  Long nursing sessions are after waking, after each nap, and before bed, but shorter ones happen at other times as well.  He is only bottle fed by babysitters, if my wife is out of the house at bedtime, or if there's otherwise a reason she can't nurse (she still pumps once before we go to bed, to maintain supply & to make sure we have some in bottles for babysitters, etc., and if the baby happens to wake up immediately after she pumps, I'll give him a bottle.)  So yes, our schedule isn't as rigid as most suggested on this forum, but the sleep has been pretty consistent.

We tried doing a PU/PD routine tonight.  He's asleep now, after an hour, but not really in the way we planned.  We did his nighttime routine (change, pajamas, nurse, read a couple of books), but he started fussing during the nursing (and in retrospect probably didn't get quite as much food as he needed) when he realized he was going to be put to bed.

Unfortunately, PU/PD went about as I'd worried it would -- he started crying the moment he touched the crib, and did not stop for the full hour I was at it.  Patting, shushing, picking him up, etc. do not comfort him at all.  He did kind of fall into an exhausted sleep when picked up twice -- and both times was out less than 60 seconds before suddenly startling wide awake (eyes open, fighting, arching his back, etc.) and much more upset than before.  After an hour, I was concerned that he was still hungry since his nursing had been a bit abbreviated before (and from the effort of crying for an hour), so had my wife come in to nurse him.  He ate voraciously for 10 minutes and then fell asleep instantly on the breast.  So, so much for putting him in the crib awake -- she put him down, he didn't wake at all, I stayed with him with a hand on him for 10 minutes (expecting the 5-10 minute wakeup of the last week), but he was out like a light and still is (it's been about an hour.)

It remains to be seen if he'll be up every 2-3 hours again tonight.

Thoughts:
1.) We have to make sure he fully eats his before-bed meal even if he's resisting that.  I think it was a mistake to let him stop nursing before he'd had enough; we may be better off interrupting the night routine and letting him be awake longer to make sure he really has his fill.  A hungry baby isn't going to sleep.
2.) We could probably get past the 5-10-minute wakeups just by staying with him with a hand on him for 10 minutes after he goes to sleep.  This would be the path of least resistance for sure, but...
3.) I doubt it would do anything about the night wakings, which are also an issue.

As for teeth & developmental chaos, there's no doubt: he's teething (two lower teeth coming in, though neither has emerged), and he's going through tremendous changes right now.  He's begun to eat solid food, and is very close to both crawling & sitting on his own, though he can't quite pull off either yet.  In the last two weeks, he's shown signs of recognizing that the kitty is a real thing (i.e. not just a stuffed animal, but something that reacts to him) and realized that his parents can get further away from him (crying when one of us walks away, calming down when we walk back), so he's definitely got some development going on right now.  It's possible this is just a phase that will pass; we just don't want to end up back in the 10:00-bedtime/up-all-night phase of his first two months again.  At the same time, this is probably the first time he's cried for an hour straight in his life, and we don't want to put him through that unnecessarily even with me right there with him.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:05:11 am by Fishsupreme »

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Inconsolable wakings after 5 minutes
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:05:33 am »
Baring all that he is going through now with the developmental stuff and teething, which it sounds like you have already allowed for, I think he is drastically UT ( under-tired) after all that day sleep and short A times. Most LOs are on 2 naps a day at this point  with a 2.5-3 hours A time.
I would push that 1st A time right out to 2.5 hours and not let nap go over 2 hours, same about 2.5 hours later and only 2 naps a day.Have a look here:Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!
chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months
Try new routine for 3 days and keep us posted!

Maryn

[/url]