Author Topic: how to move bedtime up for 3 mo old  (Read 817 times)

Offline ridingthetrain

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 04, 2015, 19:13:10 pm »
how can we get our almost 3 month old to go to bed earlier?. Here's the situation:

He started sleeping through the night around 3 weeks, but he decided night was 10-10. We were fine with that, until he started getting tired earlier (like 830 or 9) so we'd put him to bed and he'd take a nap and be up till way late. About once a week, we try to slowly move his bed time up, but anything before 9 he thinks it's a nap

Now for those of you who are like, what's the problem. Here's two problems: He takes a nap at 7 usually, and us way tired and cranky til we put him down for bed at 930 or 10. Crazy huh! But if we put him down because he's so tired he just takes another nap and were up too late.

Problem #2: my husband wakes up at 530 and so he's always tired because of the late bedtime, and I'm always tired because my toddler wakes up early.

So we want to move his bedtime up to 7 or 8 but are struggling when doing 15 minute increments.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? We need help. It's so hard staying up late and trying to keep him up when he's cranky and I'm cranky.

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: how to move bedtime up for 3 mo old
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 03:09:02 am »
Honey, could you help us out with your EASY routine, please.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 13:37:51 pm »
Following... I'm having the same issue with my 3 month old
Jennifer xx

Offline zissi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:23:14 am »
Following
Franziska

Offline bossanovile

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 13:33:21 pm »
Following too! I can't get my DD to sleep earlier than 8.45!
I then wake her at a consistent set time of 715-730, in hope of shifting the entire routine earlier as a block, watch her wake times etc but nope! She was having none of it!
What I've read though is that total sleep hours remain at an average of 14-16h or so (or higher) and LOs shift day sleep to night sleep so things move as a whole block, rather than insisting on a 12h over nighter and then expecting 5h worth of naps too

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 15:13:02 pm »
You may have to adjust all your feeding and nap times to get a bedtime that you want.  If he wakes and eats at 10 now try waking and feeding a little earlier each day and bringing the next feed and nap earlier by the same amount and adjust your whole day about 15 minutes earlier for a few days and keep repeating the process until your whole day is earlier. So feeds earlier and wake from naps earlier and feed earlier and on and on....

It's kind of a pain but his body is cued to that routine and he'll be sleepy and hungry when his body has learned that he gets to eat and sleep. You have to give it time to develop new habitual times for everything.