Author Topic: Problems moving 4 month old onto bottle  (Read 5492 times)

Offline shawyer

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 10, 2015, 21:06:43 pm »
Hello, I wondered if you could offer any advice about problems I am having feeding my 5 month old. At 4 months I decided to move on from breastfeeding to bottle feeding for various reasons but mainly because she didn't seem to be getting enough from me. She had been taking a bottle a day before this.
Since making the transition she was fine to begin with enjoying 7/8oz bottles and sleeping much better during day and at night. However a couple of weeks later she started to take only 2 oz and then after this fusses a lot while feeding, coming on and off teat. Her mouth is open for more so she seems hungry, I keep offering teat, she sucks for short period then rejects it and eventually turns head or starts crying. I may manage to get her to take another ounce or two in this way but she doesn't seem to be enjoying it and I hate seeing her like this.
This is case with most bottles now-unless a dream or night feed when she is sleepy and relaxed and takes well. She is also making weird squealing noises while clenching her tummy. She was pooing daily now every 2/3 days. She isn't very sicky and when not attempting to feed is generally a very happy baby. I try to minimize distractions/noise for her while feeding.
Anyone have any thoughts on what may be going on here?? Am starting to really regret stopping breastfeeding now  :(
Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 21:29:36 pm by shawyer »

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Problems moving 4 month old onto bottle
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:22:26 am »
I've no personal experience of moving to formula but hopefully others will be along with btdt experience soon.

Have a look at this FAQ for more info Breastfed babies and bottles

Also, if you really regret your decision to stop breastfeeding you may still be able to start it up again. There is more info on that here, Relactation: I stopped nursing, but regret my decision. Can I start again?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 13:30:17 pm »
Two thinks come to mind:

Is it possible the nipple has become too slow for her and you need to go up to the next Level?

Could it be reflux caused by a dairy intolerance that is making the feed uncomfortable?

Elise

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 18:30:35 pm »
We had a lot of trouble feeding ds at a similar age. We swapped to a lactose free formula and it improved massively. He was taking four big bottles a day at the time and the lactose was building up and he couldn't break it down so was getting very uncomfortable x

Offline shawyer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 20:44:44 pm »
Very helpful thoughts as always, this forum is fantastic, thank you for taking time to reply to me I really do appreciate it.
I think the teats are ok, as manages fine when she is relaxed/sleepy?
My older daughter had reflux and I had assumed it couldn't be that as she is hardly sick unlike her sister who could barely keep any feeds down at this age? Are there different types of reflux?
I'd also wondered about a dairy intolerance. When spoke to health visitor she seemed to think colic most likely explanation as will be taking in more air while practicing using bottle on/off teat causing sore tummy, but I thought that involved a lot of crying and tended to pass after 3-4 months, not start? And doesn't really explain why she is fussing in first place.
Do you happen to know what symptoms of dairy intolerance are and also which brand of lactose free formula you tried was?
Thanks so much!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 20:47:53 pm by shawyer »

Offline Kfro

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:20:33 am »
My ds had very loose bm's and just seemed very uncomfortable whenever feeding. He went from draining every bottle to taking barely anything. It took a few days on the lactose free formula but his bm's went back to normal and he fed much better again. We use aptamil lactose free as we were using aptamil first milk initially. For us it was just a temporary intolerance and he could eat dairy in solids, it was just that he drank so much milk he couldn't deal with it all. X

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 19:06:50 pm »
Check this FAQ out to see if the symptoms ring any bells
Does my LO have food intolerances?

And yes there is a form of reflux called silent reflux which means they suffer the pain from the acid but don't spit up Reflux 101 - General reflux information

And please do check with your HV or GP before switching formulas.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 19:09:44 pm by *Ali* »

Offline shawyer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:34:14 am »
The problems continue with feeds...infacol seemed to help a bit and she took more milk for couple of weeks but now she is back to only taking a few ounces and just in last week or two she has also become increasingly sick too, now throwing up an awful lot of her feeds. She is now 6 months and I've been trying to start weaning with baby rice, fruit puree (with and without formula and baby rice, sweet potato and mashed potato) all of which she has not been at all interested in. She is pooing every few days so no diahorrea.
I have no idea what to do next to try to help her...any ideas anyone??

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 11:07:01 am »
I still think it sounds like intolerance and/or reflux. Did you read the faqs I linked in my previous post and check with your health care professional?

Offline shawyer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 13:03:34 pm »
Hi there, yes I did have a look but as she isn't having loose stools and is a healthy weight (takes more at night when asleep/sleepy), health visitor was dismissive of  dairy intolerance. She said it was very uncommon and unlikely she could have true dairy intolerance but that she may just not be keen on dairy, e.g. when she's older she may prefer her coffee without milk...She has suggested we skip all the baby rice/formula in solids and just give her things we may be eating like mashed potato and mince (?!) and avoid dairy.  I think this seems odd as surely milk should still be main staple of her diet at this stage. I'm finding it difficult as doctor doesn't seem to know and is referring to health visitor for advice who doesn't seem to think it's a problem, more me being over anxious.
Thank you for your advice though, maybe I should try lactose free formula and see if helps?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 15:08:14 pm by shawyer »

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 20:30:36 pm »
If she is having dairy in breastmilk and formula then is does seem pointless to avoid it in solid foods. As you say, milk is he main source of nutrition until 12mo. Having said that rice and formula aren't really necessary in my opinion so I'd totally give what you have. You just need to make sure you don't add salt (including stocks) to babies food and it isn't full of sugar. Plain meat and veg etc. is fine.

It does sound like your HV is a little confused. While lactose intolerance is not that common in babies milk protein intolerance is more common. Some studies have shown up to 15% of babies have shown reactions to cows milk so it isn't really that uncommon.

What are your views on reflux being the cause of baby being sick?

Offline shawyer

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 18:24:53 pm »
Thanks so I much for those thoughts/advice. I started her on baby gaviscon last week which doctor had prescribed, and so far it has had quite a good effect, she's not being as sick after feeds and is taking a bit more milk now so perhaps she is more comfortable and reflux has been cause? Still not at all interested in solids though but I guess Rome wasn't built in a day... By time I've encouraged her to take her milk she never seems to be hungry or interested. Took a few spoonfuls of pear and Apple puree today though so at least some progress!?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 21:11:51 pm »
Have you considered Baby Led Weaning? How long after the milk are you offering solid food? An hour should give time to get. Bit hungry again. She is still very young though so plenty of time for solids.