Author Topic: 27 month old nap refusal and 5am waking  (Read 2023 times)

Offline DrDLR

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
27 month old nap refusal and 5am waking
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:14:12 am »
i'm desperate for some help please.

My son is definitely OT but refuses to nap.  I've given an earlier bedtime of 6pm when no naps but he wakes sooo early.  Then he yawns all day and his behaviour is terrible - tantrums over everything.

It takes me 3 hours a day to try and get him to nap and nothing works.  He gets out of bed and I put him back...most of the time I end up right next to his bed as he's off before I even get to the door.  I've removed his toys from the room when he starts playing eith them instead of sleeping.  I've tried leaving him to play but he wants his best mate with...me!!!!

He is getting his molars now and there is 1 sharp point broken through at the lower back.

We've also moved home from one with a garden to one without (balcony only) 1.5 months ago.

At night he goes to bed easily.  But extremely tired.
Kind Regards,

D

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: 27 month old nap refusal and 5am waking
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 05:56:33 am »
Hi there,

((Hugs )) that sounds hard work !

Could you post what your day looks like, ie WU, when you try for a nap, BT?

Does he STTN?

How long has this been going on for and what did his days look like previously?

Sorry for all the qns, just trying to get whole picture :)

DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline DrDLR

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 07:27:01 am »
Hi Cath

Thanks for your reply.

Our typical routine before was:

WU 6/6:30 am. (This works for us)
Nap 12/1pm - 3/4pm max depending on how busy he was for the day or when he went down for his nap.
BT 7pm (he takes about half an hour to settle and relax before falling asleep - no matter what time he goes to sleep.  Don't want a later time as I need my own time and time with hubby).

It all started a couple of months ago when he learnt to climb out of his cot.  With persistent putting back into his cot he wpuld eventually go to sleep.

We moved a month and a half ago and he got his big boy bed which he loves.  Initially he was napping and sleeping fine...about a month ago things started to go wrong with napping and early waking.

The past week he's only managed a nap once or twice at most and that is with sheer persistence on my part wearing him down.  I used to count every time I put him back but given up.  Now I just concentrate on keeping my cool...which I sometimes loose.  I absolutely dread naptimes now and him coming home from nursery as I know he's going to be in a rotten mood.  Which means we're arguing all day...positive parenting out of the bloody window.

We also started slowly potty training a couple of weeks ago.  Also he is now getting his molars in and he has always been a terrible teether.

He sleeps through the night most nights unless he had a bad dream or his nappy leaked or something.
Yesterday we went for early dinner at my mom's and he fell asleep in the car in seconds at about 4/4:30.
Current schedule:
wU 5am (sometimes earlier refusing to go back to sleep)
Trying to get him to nap 1-3 pm
BT 6/6:30pm

I've tried starting is nap later around 1/2pm.  Hours of putting back down, removing toys from the room to eliminate distraction, using homeopathic remedies such as chamomilla in his milk to help calm him down, lying next to him n his bed, lying with me in my bed, breathing techniques etc, early warning of nap time, watching his tv show before nap, reading books....

I'm at the point of him going to nursery full time as they have nap time from 12-2:20pm and maybe he would copy the others sleeping.
Kind Regards,

D

Offline cath~

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:40:34 am »
Hi, so sorry I haven't made it back to this for ages.  Things were really busy here last week and on the weekend (birthday celebrations).

How have the last few days been?  Have you had any more luck getting him to take a nap?

It sounds like he's had a lot of changes recently with the new house and starting PTing, and also teething.

If he's still OT and not napping, I'd be tempted maybe for a couple of days to try APOPing a nap.  Eg you mentioned that he nodded off in the car.  What about heading out for a drive (could be just a drive or could be on the way to somewhere you're heading for the afternoon), or a walk in the buggy, and let him nod off that way?  Then you could wait until he wakes.  As well as helping him catch up, it would also be a break for you from all these nap struggles as I know they can really wear you down. (BTDT with my DD1).  WDYT?

Another option (which might or might not work) would be to try a sofa nap - e.g. snuggling with you with a bit of TV and see if he'll nod off - perhaps later in the afternoon.  Just so he has enough to get through til BT.  Or setting him up a cosy den with cushions, blankets etc?

Sometimes ppl find they have to be a bit more creative with naps at this age.

Also, have you read this?  I don't think your LO sounds like he's ready to drop the nap completely yet, but there are lots of ideas about managing the transition, esp when naps get tricky.
The 1-0 transition...Advice and Tips to help you through.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline DrDLR

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 13:15:52 pm »
Hi thanks forr your reply.

As it goes I've had a bit of success.

Started last week to put him to bed at 5:30pm andhe went off easily.  This lasted 2 days.  On the third day he went for a nap easier but I waited till 2pm.  And since then he has happlily been taking naps around 2pm.

Going a lot better thanks.
Kind Regards,

D

Offline cath~

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 13:24:47 pm »
so pleased to hear things have improved for you :)

is he waking later again too?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline roseola

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 02:37:23 am »
Tiredly following along.....
Nini