Author Topic: Help - we've had 2 years without a decent night!  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Mum41

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help - we've had 2 years without a decent night!
« on: September 28, 2015, 13:44:26 pm »
Hi - can anyone help?  My 24 month old has been a poor sleeper since she was 3 months old.  She rarely sleeps through the night and is frequently in our bed.  We've tried sleep training several times over the last 2 years and did find it made some difference for a while but the other problem is that she's also frequently unwell and so it's hard to be consistent.  She has on average 2 colds a month and this has gone on since she was 3 months.  I've been to the GP about it and have been told it's 'normal' because she goes to nursery!  I don't agree with this as my son (now 8) went to the same nursery and was rarely unwell.  Getting only 3 or 4 hours sleep a night is a regular occurrence for me and it's slowly taking its toll on my health.  My husband is pretty tired too.   I don't know what to do to try and fix this and any suggestions would be great.  To give you more of an idea of what a typical night is for us - it varies but When my daughter wakes she is often stays awake for several hours.  If we don't bring her into our bed she screams and shouts.  I've tried the gradual retreat method - where I go in then out again and return after 5 mins, then 10 mins but this is really hard to do and we've found that it can go on for hours. We would both ultimately like her to sleep in her own room all night - we're not happy with the current situation.  Also she's getting too big for her cot but I can't face the thought of her being able to get up throughout the night if she's in a bed!  Please help.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Help - we've had 2 years without a decent night!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 14:11:59 pm »
Hi there, what are her naps like? Cold you post her usual day?

Have you read up about gradual withdrawal?   Toddlers: Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: Help - we've had 2 years without a decent night!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 19:12:46 pm »
Is there any medical history? have the colds been investigated at all? She could be uncomfortable, and always has been, hence the constant waking, poor thing, and poor you too!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.